Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to the fourm and seeking some advise. My 2003 C230 Kompressor has been having issues with the lockup torque converter as it feels like it is staying engaged causing it load up vibrate and sometimes stall at slow speeds. Driving above 3 MPH results in normal driving in both performance and shifting. The below fault codes were displayed on my OBD reader:
P2300
P2001
The TCM connection was slightly wet with fluid at the transmission but dry at the TCM. I cleaned and dried the TCM connection. No glycol (coolant) was detected in the transmission fluid and I performed a basic service. No change,...so I brought the car to a private shop that specializes in MB. They said the TCM was bad so I had it replaced and programed. $1300 later the transmission still has the same issue, but now with no fault codes (do to a newTCM). The shop now wants to sell me another transmission for $4500...... They could only tell me what the previous faults read. Disappointed with the shops (lack of) abilities correct or even diagnose the problem(s) I brought my car home. I am considering bringing my car to the dealer (Alfano of San Louis Obispo) for diagnostics and then correcting the problem myself. This past week I have been driving the care in an unsuccessful attempt to generate fault codes....

From my research it sounds like a common issue with the 722.6's is the contactor plate and/or the TCM connection plug. I can replace these parts on my lift at home for under $400. Since I will be in there, I also thought about replacing the Torque converter lock-up solenoid valve (Y3/6y6). Is this a good place to start or should I bring it to the dealer first for diagnostics. Also does the TCM need to be programed for a new contact plate or can I erase the fault codes (if any) and be ok?
I am open to any suggestions or advise. Thanks folks

Rick

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,248 Posts
You really need a proper diagnosis with a tool that can test the solenoid for the torque converter lock-up. Otherwise, you are just going to throw parts at it.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,558 Posts
For future reference, you can replace those TCM's yourself, since you have the 5-speed (722.6) transmission. No reprogramming required with those. It's only the 7-speed (722.9) where the TCM is married to that specific car, which is one reason why I avoid the 7-speed like the Plague.

Avoid that shop. Don't walk, run. They're just going to swap parts on you, on your dime, until they get lucky. That's one big reason I do all of the maintenance on our cars now and have for the last several years.

And since you obviously can do your own work (you've got a lift?? I'm jealous!), I would VERY STRONGLY suggest that you invest in getting your own SDS setup. That's the dealer tool. Best $600 of automotive money I've ever spent. If only you knew how much money my SDS has saved me over the last nearly 4 years......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts