Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 C280 Sport V6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know what happened to the cluster. I took it apart to change some bulbs. Put it back together and everything was peachy. Only thing was the tach went nuts. I hate driving it like this. I looked for a cluster at the junk yard, no 97's. 96 and a 98 are different. Any ideas how to fix this would be appreciated :bowdown:

Here is a video to show you what I mean.

C230 cluster gone wack - YouTube

·
Registered
98 C280 Sport V6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the cover off because the tach went nuts. It was the only way I could get the instruments to work. That is weird to me. You have to tap the tach otherwise nothing else works.

·
Registered
1994 sold/new White 2014 c250 sport/night eition
177 Posts
I took the cover off because the tach went nuts. It was the only way I could get the instruments to work. That is weird to me. You have to tap the tach otherwise nothing else works.
Just a guess, but try taking the cluste out and unpluging it and repluging and making sure the connections are on tight and not loose....on your video I saw that when you messed w/tach needle the temp and fuel gauge jumped into action...just my 2 cents.....:)

·
Registered
98 C280 Sport V6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I plugged it many many many times lol. Plus I even went the extra mile and cleaned brushed greased the pins. The whole damn thing does nothing at all unless I touch the needle on the tach then it springs to life. I mean all the gauges. I got plenty of lights lol. I don't understand it. Ill try unplugging the battery tomorrow, probably won't do a dang thing for it. Maybe swap another ovp in. I really can't afford another cluster right now, my wife is about to pop any day now. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this weirdness before. I'm confused and a bit afraid to mess with it.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
Wondering if you tried putting the old bulbs back in to see if the gauges went back to normal? You can pull two fuses under the hood to kill power to the cluster. There should be a card underneath the fuse cover. If you unhook the battery you'll be resetting more than one thing like the radio & windows.

Inspect the back of the circuit board since you already have it apart and have a look at the capacitors, traces, and solder joints. B

·
Registered
98 C280 Sport V6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try to pull the fuses later on. It seems like its trying to relearn it self. When I pulled the board out yesterday the circuits look good. No cold joints everything still together.

·
Registered
98 C280 Sport V6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I think the cluster is bad. Must have fine line cracked. Went to my dads work after work. He is a master tech at west chevrolet. Well my dad and mike (mike was a master tech at mercedes) say it must have cracked. Mike said it be voltage huntin, lookin for these grounds lol. Keep in mind mike is cajun lol. So yeah, sucks. HOW COME EVER FRIGGIN TIME I FIX SOMETHING, SOMETHING ELSE BREAKS!!!!?????!!!!!! Also my tires are already shot, got those in march lol. I'll get dws's next time. So Im like 800 in the hole plus another 8k in credit debt plus a kid about to be here any day. Wonderful day, at least I made 200 at work today :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
How'd you take it out? If you set the pull-out hooks in the wrong place can
damage the cluster. Have the same car and had to replace some cluster bulbs.
Didn't trust myself and took it to the stealership. Found one that charged sixty
bucks for labor. Told him to replace as many bulbs as necessary to bring the charge
up to a hundred so now I've got new bulbs and am covered by the MB Roadside Assistance for another 18
months.

·
Registered
98 C280 Sport V6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed the steering wheel to pull it out. Bent a clothes hanger for a hook. Made two of them. One good yank and it came out. Now the guy before me took it out the wrong way. Theres some marks on the panel on the right side. The dude before me put LEDs in the cluster. Looked terrible.

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
have not needed to take the cluster out yet in my W202 but in my W201 and W124 paint can openers were the perfect tool for the job.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts