Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2002 C230. This is my first rear will drive car in 27 years! As I live in Pittsburgh, I have a fair number of snowy days and hills to deal with. Can anyone comment on what to expect? Do I need snow tires? Do all of the electronic gizmos help all that much? Does it go in the snow??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The electronics do help a lot. However, if you have the C7 package the Z rated tires are worse than useless on snow and ice. I don't know if you are aware of this, but snow tires are now sets of four and not two. This is because of the construction and compounds used. If you use just snow tires on the rear, the balance of traction between front and rear is so different, the car can easily become unstable.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'd better buy chains or snow tires because I can tell that it slips a lot with a rear wheel drive, even with the W (winter) position on an automatic gearbox. If you buy chains, buy 2 pairs (front and rear). If you buy snow tires, buy a set of four. On a rear wheel drive car, you have to put a set of chains or snow tires at the rear so that your car can move and you have to put a set of chains or snow tires at the front for the directions.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove mine through a couple decent snowstorms without much trouble, but that was when the tires (std) were brand new. I'd pick up a set of 4 snow tires and wheels if I lived in an area that I had to drive snow very often.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts