Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there that has upgraded the C230 coupe (base audio, not bose) using the factory head unit and adding Speakers, Amp and Sub.<br>
<br>
Reasoning: don't want to lose the functions of the fact unit, love the look and feel, also I did invest in the MB Changer and assume moderate build quality being that it is Alpine/Becker guts.<br>
<br>
One post spoke of hacking into the pre-out's inside the head unit, that sounds great, but he had some noise concerns after the fact. Also, what do you think about asking MB to install the BOSE amp, what are the opinions of that approach... enough power, etc...<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance!<br>
<br>
-Jason<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
did the audio quality (compared to the cassette and radio) go up with the cd player, in other words do cds sound alot better than the radio ?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's more about control, consistency and yes the most important thing is quality... even in Seattle your FM stations will fade, introduce static and bless you with a morning commute filled with commercials and bloated DJ's talking only about themselves and other garbage you couldn't care less about. <br>
<br>
The CD changer was worth every penny!<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my c230 a week ago but im starting to dislike the system. i wanted the c5 system package but they didnt have a car like that and the color exterior and interior with that option. I did get a cd changer but didnt get it put in yet, they needed a bracket that wasnt in stock. I hope the cd changer makes it louder and nicer, i think its so low sersiouly, i see cheap cavaliers that sound nicer than my benz. tell me if u guys can help me out. Is there also a way to get the bose system put in now?. neil.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While you can add Bose, it would be fairly expensive. You might want to consider swapping out the headunit for a Becker Audio 10. It is reported to sound much better than the Alpine cassette player. I am waiting for mine. If that is still not satisfactory, add an aftermarket amp and change speakers.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the hacking into the preouts. That went okay. I was unhappy with induced engine noise, however. I think that the preouts are a bit sensitive to that kind of induced noise. <br> <br> The problem with the head unit's amplified outs is that the amplifier circuit introduces quite a bit of distortion. If you look at the data sheet for the ST TDA7454 amplifier (the one used in the '02 C-Class cars), you'll see that the the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) can be up to 3% at higher volumes. 1% is easily noticable by untrained ears. <br> <br> My new plan is to replace that amplifier chip with another pin-compatible amplifier circuit from ST. I would ideally use a TDA7560 (THD of 0.05%). These parts are somewhat difficult to acquire, however, since they are normally only ordered by car radio manufacturers. <br> <br> Maybe if my plan is amazingly successful I will order a few hundred of these parts and then set up a service to which you can send your radio and have it upgraded with a better amplifier section. <br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
2003 clk 320
29 Posts
hey i have a c230 coupe and ive had it for a year now. baught december 31st. love the car ...

hey i have a c230 coupe and ive had it for a year now. baught december 31st. love the car love the sound of the supercharger. but i grew a dislike for the sound system i got stock system and regreted it ever since. about a month ago i got 2 sony xplod 12" subs. although they arn't the best subs out there i got them for about 75% off from a friend and since the c coupe is a hatchback the sound waves bump off the rear of the car. it sounds great. my subs sound better then my friends 2g alpine system in a sedan. i love my head unit also and i didn't change that i just got my subs and an amp and i used a cross over so hook it up to my stock head unit. it sounds great and my steering wheel controls work great.

·
Registered
c class 200komp - ML W164
65 Posts
TDA????

Hello Cryptonic:)

I have today desmantle my audio10 cassette radio and noticed that the IC amp is a TDA8568Q wich is alower specifcation of the one that you mentionned in the forum.
Do you know if the cassette or the CD version use a different IC amp?:rolleyes

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
Is there anyone out there that has upgraded the C230 coupe (base audio, not bose) using the factory head unit and adding Speakers, Amp and Sub.<br>
<br>
Reasoning: don't want to lose the functions of the fact unit, love the look and feel, also I did invest in the MB Changer and assume moderate build quality being that it is Alpine/Becker guts.<br>
<br>
One post spoke of hacking into the pre-out's inside the head unit, that sounds great, but he had some noise concerns after the fact. Also, what do you think about asking MB to install the BOSE amp, what are the opinions of that approach... enough power, etc...<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance!<br>
<br>
-Jason<br>
You can Install a Command ...It Works great..then add a sub.amps..I Did It works Great
If You are thinking about a Comand Do It!!
If Interested in a Comand E mail Steve @ www.MBenz.nl

·
Registered
449 Posts
Likewise, I have a C230 Coupe and am not too happy with the sound system.

I've had it for about a year. Got the standard head and a dealer installed MB CD changer. Love the car, but I wish that I had got the Bose. Dealer didn't have any on the lot and I didn't want to wait. I have the Bose in my ML and its like night and day, the differance. I also don't want to put a lot of money into an after market system. Wouldn't mind spending ~$400 or so.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Bose in the coupe

The difference between the standard system and the Bose is not nearly as great in the coupe as it is in the sedan. The coupe has a 4" x 6" speaker in a box similar to the bass module in a Bose Acoustimass home entertainment system. The module is place between the rear quarter panel and the cargo compartment wall behind the right rear tire well. It is not ported, and cannot be ported, into the cabin. So, the sound is trapped back there and the front door speakers provide the bass.

In addition, the rear speakers are in the rear of the doors and fire directly into the sides of the front seats. The Bose does sound better, but if I had paid the fully price for it as a stand alone option, instead of getting really cheaply as part of the C5 package, I would be really unhappy.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
COMAND is the factory GPS navigation unit. It is made by Bosch and uses the same softwa...

COMAND is the factory GPS navigation unit. It is made by Bosch and uses the same software as the Blaupunkt DX-N navigation system. It repaces the casssete player and the cubby hole beneath the cassette. When the mapping software cd is not in the unit it can be used as a cd player. It will control the factory cd changer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts