Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 97 (pre facelift) C230 automatic which has a rough idle. Somethimes it even dies when i stop in a crossroad etc. However there is no real pattern to what causes this. Most often it happens when it is cold outside, but also after a car has ben parked for a short period of time (<1h) and engine is still hot. In idle when it is rough the motor shakes violently. However this is not something that would happen every time I drive a car. When I drive to work (30 min ride) it usually works perfectly.

I read it could be MAF, but I dont know since it is not happening regularly.

Thanks for help!

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Please have the car scanned for OBDII codes.

That will give us the best clues as to where to start.

Is the 'check engine' warning light illuminated?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are no lights turned on. Judging by control lights everything is fine. Regarding OBDII codes my friend who is a mechanic did hook it up to a computer but said that nothing is showing - again as if everthing is OK. I am puzzled because this thing comes and goes. Maybe some sensor or something that has a bad connection...

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I'm guessing now; but I have read a similar post (can't remember off-hand) about a part called the OVP relay (Over Voltage Protection Relay).

It MAY be this.

Do a search.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,595 Posts
It could also be a problem with the crankshaft position sensor. it throws no code but I believe is temp sensitive when it is going bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was testing it this weekend and found out following: when engine is cold it works pretty much normally. And does so even when it gets warmer as long as it doesnt get parket for a period of time. However if I go and park the car for 1/2 hour or more and engine is still warm it will show simptoms described above. After I drive for a while (quite some time and on the open roads) it will resume working pretty much normally. I am puzzled.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,595 Posts
yup. investigate the crankshaft position sensor some more. search and read up on it. lots of posts on that on this forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it to repair shop and MAF seem to be what caused the problem. And I think they said that they also needed to clean the throttle body.

Thanks all for help!

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,595 Posts
good. that is a simple fix! make sure he actually confirms that it is the MAF. there are tests he can do to confirm that.

·
Registered
C220 1996, C300 2010, E240 2005
56 Posts
Bad MAF Behaviour

Even when it will not cause the engine to shut down, you will see the idle RPM is not steady.
I also noticed that when it is more humide, behavior tends to be worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts