Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
05 c230k was driving well.. No codes or major issues with the exception of a small valve cover gasket leak that needs to be changed soon.

I jump started my significant others late model saturn vehicle today and did the standard procedure of putting the cables in the right position ( dead battery with only the positive clamped and the negative on ground) with the c230 having both the postive and negative cables both hooked up.

The saturn remained off the entire time and never was turned on while the mercedes was charging the saturn battery for about 7 minutes.

I then turned off the c230 and removed all the clamps in order.

Fortunatley the saturn turned on and everyhring was good until...

A few minutues later we go to the store in the c230 to get a few things. No more than 15 minutes.

We jump back in the car, starts right up, no codes great right? About 25 minutes of driving to our place we park the car to unload our groceries. Long story short, I hop back in to move the car and the engine shut off. I try to start it but it would not want to crank.... Never expirienced this before.

I checked most fuses and recently changed spark plugs about a month ago. I also smelled a burning plastic smell near the drivers side area by the supercharger/fuse area but could not pin point any leaks or damage.

The car itself was cranking fine up untill this incident. Fortunatley no codes or battery light present so I am very stumpped..

Is there a possibility damage to the computer was done when charging the saturn? Could it be the crank sensor?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes ML320, Mercedes 190E 2.3L (sold), 2001 Mercedes c320(gone)
1,456 Posts
05 c230k was driving well.. No codes or major issues with the exception of a small valve cover gasket leak that needs to be changed soon.

I jump started my significant others late model saturn vehicle today and did the standard procedure of putting the cables in the right position ( dead battery with only the positive clamped and the negative on ground) with the c230 having both the postive and negative cables both hooked up.

The saturn remained off the entire time and never was turned on while the mercedes was charging the saturn battery for about 7 minutes.

A few minutues later we go to the store in the c230 to get a few things. No more than 15 minutes.

We jump back in the car, starts right up, no codes great right? About 25 minutes of driving to our place we park the car to unload our groceries. Long story short, I hop back in to move the car and the engine shut off. I try to start it but it would not want to crank.... Never expirienced this before.

I checked most fuses and recently changed spark plugs about a month ago. I also smelled a burning plastic smell near the drivers side area by the supercharger/fuse area but could not pin point any leaks or damage.

The car itself was cranking fine up untill this incident. Fortunatley no codes or battery light present so I am very stumpped..

Is there a possibility damage to the computer was done when charging the saturn? Could it be the crank sensor?

Wow! Really sorry.

Did you double check the battery leads that they were not in any way dislodged by the operation, creating a poor connection?
Does the instrument cluster fully light up?
Any messages on the dash?
Do you hear the steering unlock?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow! Really sorry.

Did you double check the battery leads that they were not in any way dislodged by the operation, creating a poor connection?
Does the instrument cluster fully light up?
Any messages on the dash?
Do you hear the steering unlock?

I am stumped.. No codes or red bat/alt light fortunatley. Factory battery I recently purchased now reads 12.3 and alternator was recently replaced a month back oem Bosch. I also recently replaced spark plugs( bosch platinum) and vehicle was operating fairly well aside from a slight minor semi hard start once in 20 starts(slight drop in rpm when cranking) but idle was quiet smooth while in park/drive. I also took the car for a wash yesterday in one of those conveyor type places. My splash gaurd under the car has the front plastic on though the back end piece is not present(fell off a while back). Not sure if water from the wash caused any electrical issues. Though this was about 4 hours prior to jump starting the saturn.. All problems started after the jump start.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Ok, maybe start with the simplest thing, remove the keys, confirm the battery is firmly connected, clean up the terminals and clamps... No click from starter right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, maybe start with the simplest thing, remove the keys, confirm the battery is firmly connected, clean up the terminals and clamps... No click from starter right?

Re checked the terminals and negative cable was recently replaced with no corrosion as I double checked it today. Positive cable was cleaned a while back and re cleaned recently. Only small detail is that the cable itself has a tad bit of light oil (the snake like thick cable that connects to the alternator) though this would not impede the car from starting before. Dried it and cleaned it before I out the new alternator on. Also strange enough my gas tank was about half tank yesterday, then when turning the key, it looks like the level gas significantly dropped... Could this be a sign of a fuel pressure/ fuel filter issue? Havent seen any signs of a fuel leak.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Havent check the starter for clicking. Where exactly is it located on an 05 c230k?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Re checked the terminals and negative cable was recently replaced with no corrosion as I double checked it today. Positive cable was cleaned a while back and re cleaned recently. Only small detail is that the cable itself has a tad bit of light oil (the snake like thick cable that connects to the alternator) though this would not impede the car from starting before. Dried it and cleaned it before I out the new alternator on. Also strange enough my gas tank was about half tank yesterday, then when turning the key, it looks like the level gas significantly dropped... Could this be a sign of a fuel pressure/ fuel filter issue? Havent seen any signs of a fuel leak.
With fuel pressure issues, car should crank, but just wouldn't start if nothing comes through. Usually a weakly pressured system will start if you turn the key to position 2 a few times for a few seconds each time and then start, ie pressurizing the line.

The drop in the gauge, it's hard to tell... Could be low voltage errors messing up the cluster.

Can your scanner go beyond obd2? If so check Drive authorization under the ecu scan group, then scan front and rear Sam, EIS too.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
First of all, make sure we are all using the correct terms. The term "crank" generally means that the starter motor runs and rotates the engine crankshaft. If the starter does not operate and the engine crankshaft is not rotating, then this has nothing at all to do with fuel delivery. Now, if the starter motor is rotating the crankshaft and the engine does not "fire", then that very will could be a fuel delivery problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts

How you doing there I have an 02 c230k Coupe same thing was happening to mine I figured out it was a loose cable on my starter which is located on the driver side on the bottom mid area of the engine also my cables were a little loose and for some reason with that car you might have to jiggle it around a little bit around the battery but the main problem was the loose nut that was on the starter you probably won't want to do this also but if you just hear it ticking try to tap your starter also to see if it's locked sometimes your starter will lock but those cars I did the same thing tapped it and it got it loose I do need a new starter I still have the same one that I tapped in there and it's been fine ever since I tapped it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How you doing there I have an 02 c230k Coupe same thing was happening to mine I figured out it was a loose cable on my starter which is located on the driver side on the bottom mid area of the engine also my cables were a little loose and for some reason with that car you might have to jiggle it around a little bit around the battery but the main problem was the loose nut that was on the starter you probably won't want to do this also but if you just hear it ticking try to tap your starter also to see if it's locked sometimes your starter will lock but those cars I did the same thing tapped it and it got it loose I do need a new starter I still have the same one that I tapped in there and it's been fine ever since I tapped it
Thanks for the input. Ill see if I can locate it.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all, make sure we are all using the correct terms. The term "crank" generally means that the starter motor runs and rotates the engine crankshaft. If the starter does not operate and the engine crankshaft is not rotating, then this has nothing at all to do with fuel delivery. Now, if the starter motor is rotating the crankshaft and the engine does not "fire", then that very will could be a fuel delivery problem.
Thanks for the advice, could a no crank also be caused by a faulty computer,pcm, Sam?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Before @rudeney comes through, i doubt your ecu is bad though. Since there's no cranking, this sudden no crank is usually a fault in ignition/drive authorization system.

I had similar with my c320, for about 6 months + I ran the car by:

1. Running a line from battery + to starter purple cable via a momentary switch installed in the car by steering wheel
2. Turn key to start and push button for a split second.

This was because at the time I couldn't get anyone to figure it out. It was really nice and actually made me lazy about trying to fix it further. Lol.

I guess you may not have a switch sitting around, you need to test this first, so you can make a small cut at a safe point in the starter purple line, safely get a connection from battery +ve terminal, have someone just turn the key to engine run position, touch that point with the battery connection for just around 3 seconds, thereabout and if the car fires up. Then you can focus on the das system.

So if you can try this and the car starts, you can look at the ignition system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update** test light shows power to the starter fuse.

Tried switching up to the 20 amp as others jave mentioned on other boards. Still nothing

Would this confirm that the starter is whata causing the no start condition?

I can also hear the fuel pump working.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Update** test light shows power to the starter fuse.

Tried switching up to the 20 amp as others jave mentioned on other boards. Still nothing

Would this confirm that the starter is whata causing the no start condition?

I can also hear the fuel pump working.

Confirm if you have power to the starter at crank time... Or better still confirm it at the purple wire to the starter. If there's something amiss in the starting circuit then the start signal may never get to the starter... But first confirm starter actually works. Put power to it, 2 seconds is enough...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Confirm if you have power to the starter at crank time... Or better still confirm it at the purple wire to the starter. If there's something amiss in the starting circuit then the start signal may never get to the starter... But first confirm starter actually works. Put power to it, 2 seconds is enough...

Update: Thank you again everyone for the help. It was the starter. Found a good used oem mercedes starter and started up like new! Back on the road.

Glad it was not computer related as we had strong rains recently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts