Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1995 C220
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the double post as I initially posted under the AMG site and did not realize until reading the chastisement from someone in that forum...:surrender:

I have 95 C220 with 104000 miles that I bought last year for my 18 yr old son and 16 yr old daughter. Seemed like very well built car that ran strong and would be safe for kids. After replacing tranny 3 months later (luckily mostly covered with warranty), took it in for first inspection this month and was told the frame was cracked where the control arm attaches. Is this common?
Also have possessed wipers that work in continuous mode, but doesn't stop where it should. Have lubed like a prior post says, which at least allows it to operate, but is there some sort of adjustment that makes it blade go fully from 1 side to the other and then stop at the end of its cycle?
Lastly instruments all stick when cold and I have seen the post about cleaning the pegs with alcohol, but have not heard anyone say they got the cluster out in a non telescoping steering wheel car without removing the steering wheel.

Any help on these 3 issues would be greatly appreciated:bowdown:

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
first of all, sorry to hear about the transmission. it was most likely not bad, it might have just needed adjusted, but either way, you have a new one :)

as for the frame cracking, i have never heard of that. usually a problem with our cars around 100k is the lower control arm bushings go bad, and need to be replaced which can be a costly job, but never heard about the frame cracking. did you see the crack yourself??? maybe one of the kids ran over something...

onto the windshield wiper. they are kind of complicated to deal with. if you give me some more information on where the wiper starts and stops i can try to help you with that, but it will be alot of work removing the entire windshield wiper from the car to fix it.

as for the instruments, i have not done it myself, but many claim it is possible to remove the instrument cluster without removing the steering wheel even if you dont have the telescoping wheel. it can be done, it just requires some carefulness. you turn the wheel to the right side slightly and then you slide the cluster out through the large area in the steering wheel, right side first.

·
Registered
1995 C220
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yes, I believe a big pennsylvania pothole was probably a bit worse than my daughter wants to admit. I did see the crack, but luckily found a local bodyshop that was able to weld it and have that portion fixed now... funny you mention the control arm bushing as that is bad on the other side!!!

As for wiper, it basically always just does approximately 5/6 of a wipe when in the intermittent mode, so I normally just use continuous and then try and time the turn off so as to get it stopped at the bottom, when in intermittent, as I said, it goes 5/6 of a wipe and stops, then the next is another 5/6 and stops etc etc. ie starts at 9 Oclock stops at 2 Oclock and then finishes the wipe going to 3 Oclock changes direction and stops at 11 Oclock. then continues to 9, reverse and stop at 12, and so on if you get my drift. I will be looking at the second link provided to see what that tells me...

·
Registered
1995 C220
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wiper thread reply

That was quite the detailed link for repositioning the blade, felt as though I was reading Shakespeare at times, and it left me almost as confused as MacBeth. I'm not sure that it addresses my problem:confused:

PA won't pass it unless it comes to rest at the normal point:eek:

Ok enough emoticons (feel like my daughter texting)

Any other ideas out there?

As a former Air Force fighter pilot I think I'm fairly handy with repairs (having the right tools sure make a difference), Any comments on how hard changing control arm bushings would be. I will be attempting the instrument cluster cleaning this weekend.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
i ended up just paying to get my bushings done. the new bushings have to be pressed into the arm, and from what i hear its extremely hard to do it by hand. most places will have a machine or something that will press the bushing in place. thats the only reason why i didnt attempt it myself.

the guy who did mine had done the job on newer model cars, but never on mine and it took him almost 8 hours. to do both front lower control arm bushings.

as for the instrument cluster, if you want to prevent the pins from sticking again, put something over them.. ive heard of people using shrink tube to prevent them from becoming sticky again.

i can try to help you fix your wiper problem, but im still kind of confused as to what exactly its doing. when the wiper comes to rest back at the normal spot... if it does, does it go off the bottom of the windshield, like into the hood or is it an inch or so up from the bottom of the glass.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC; 1984 300TD; 1984 300CD; 1985 300CD; 1978 280CE
178 Posts
you say you can put it in proper resting position if you time out when you turn the switch to off. Shouldn't the motor finish it's cycle after you turn it off?

·
Registered
1995 C220
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
wiper stopping point

I wish it did finish the cycle.

As I tried to state above, it stops (or comes to rest if you prefer) at all different spots on the windshield.

I think I may have confused some people with the statement of timing it as I turn it off, basically I have to continually turn it on an off to try and get the stopping point close enough to the bottom of the windshield so that I can leave it there and safely see out the windshield. It seems as though the control arm between the motor and the blade is an abnormal length and I only get 5/6 of a stroke with each wiper cycle...:surrender:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
does that piston move in and out when the wiper blade moves left and right?

it sounds to me like everything needs to be lubricated. you can just take off the entire wiper and then lube the gears and lube the linkages as well. i used white lithium grease on mine. when you have it off, you will be able to tell how it works as well. i took mine apart down to every little piece. it took me a few tries to get it working the way its supposed to after i put it back together.

·
Registered
1995 C220
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally had some time to dig into the wiper and had everything apart, found no damage to any of the plastic gears, or the worm gear. Lubed all parts with lithium grease and did find a blown 15 amp fuse that controlled the intermittent wipers. The wiper however still acts as though the control arm is to short as each stroke is consistently about 2 inches less than a full stroke when in intermittent. Is there any way to adjust the travel of the wiper arm (I did go through the different posts that showed how to set the park position, which I followed, but it did not fix the travel distance problem I have)
This seems completely different than any post I have researched--which is alot of reading over the past 5 days!!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
my wiper is jacked up as well, took it all apart, and could not find any problems at all with it. my wiper moves fine left and right, however it does not move in and out when it is supposed to. it usually just moves out and stays out... then it hits the chrome around the windshield. i have made a temporary fix and im looking for one from a junkyard.

maybe thats what you will have to do as well :(

·
Registered
1995 C220
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to hear that... Mine goes left and right, in and out, at all the right places, just won't park in the right place. After counting strokes, after 14 strokes on intermittent, it parks in the normal position. Dumb question... Is the intermittent stroke just 1 wipe to the other side, or is it supposed to go from driver side across and back to driver side before stopping?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.