Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends,

C220 CDI W204 646.811 engine, 722 box, July 2007. My auto oil has not been changed at the recommended 60k nor the 120k mark (no diesel fuel filter change either!) and, of course, I did not look at the service manual too closely when I bought the car privately and naively thought the name Mercedes guarantees excellent service here in Perth (Oz). There is a lot of info on the web for DIY and I would like to hear yours:

To do a proper oil change it would need a proper flush with 15 litres of Merc oil, which my non-Merc mechanic cannot do as they do not have the fitting on their flush machine to attach it to Mercs. Besides, he would not use the Merc oil as it is too expensive. DIY means oil is left in the torque converter plus if you do not let it drip for a long time an extra 1.5 litres will stay in the box according to one DIY man. Suggestion is to crank it at 200 RPM (NO STARTING!) to get the oil out of the torque converter?? I may not be game enough to try that. Looks like us DIY boys are at a disadvantage to do a proper job. I wonder if Merc is doing a flush and how much that is going to cost!

My mechanic is rather hesitant to do the job and has already fobbed me off twice as he cannot see him doing a good job without a flush. He is suggesting a two-hour job, which means he would leave 1.5 litres of oil behind as it is not allowed to drip. All I can think of is suggesting to him coming in late PM and letting it at least drip overnight or doing it myself, but I am not too happy as I feel sick (nauseous) working under a car, but I will manage.

I am a pensioner, who hopes to get another 100,000km out of this badly serviced Merc (120k on the clock), but I suspect it has to be serviced properly to get those extra 100K out of my last car, hope, hope.

Your thoughts, please!

Regards
domwild

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi friends,

C220 CDI W204 646.811 engine, 722 box, July 2007. My auto oil has not been changed at the recommended 60k nor the 120k mark (no diesel fuel filter change either!) and, of course, I did not look at the service manual too closely when I bought the car privately and naively thought the name Mercedes guarantees excellent service here in Perth (Oz). There is a lot of info on the web for DIY and I would like to hear yours:

To do a proper oil change it would need a proper flush with 15 litres of Merc oil, which my non-Merc mechanic cannot do as they do not have the fitting on their flush machine to attach it to Mercs. Besides, he would not use the Merc oil as it is too expensive. DIY means oil is left in the torque converter plus if you do not let it drip for a long time an extra 1.5 litres will stay in the box according to one DIY man. Suggestion is to crank it at 200 RPM (NO STARTING!) to get the oil out of the torque converter?? I may not be game enough to try that. Looks like us DIY boys are at a disadvantage to do a proper job. I wonder if Merc is doing a flush and how much that is going to cost!

My mechanic is rather hesitant to do the job and has already fobbed me off twice as he cannot see him doing a good job without a flush. He is suggesting a two-hour job, which means he would leave 1.5 litres of oil behind as it is not allowed to drip. All I can think of is suggesting to him coming in late PM and letting it at least drip overnight or doing it myself, but I am not too happy as I feel sick (nauseous) working under a car, but I will manage.

I am a pensioner, who hopes to get another 100,000km out of this badly serviced Merc (120k on the clock), but I suspect it has to be serviced properly to get those extra 100K out of my last car, hope, hope.

Your thoughts, please!

Regards
domwild
Let a MB shop flush your gearbox, it is not a easy DIY job if no lift.
By the way, some converters have a drain-plug.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just pumped the German oil out of the box via a 12V pump through the tube of the dip stick and, of course, it was black. So much for genuine Merc servicing. Been told Mercs no longer have a drain plug for the torque converter since before my July 2007 vehicle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just pumped the oil out via a 12V pump through the tube of the dip stick and the German oil from July 2007 was black. So much for genuine Merc servicing! By the way, Mercs since before my car no longer have a drain plug for the torque converter.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Dom, do you have a seven speed transmission ? ,If so you don't have a trans.fill tube and the oil you have removed is from your engine.
I hope I am wrong but please double check. Hopefully you have a 5 speed trans,,,722.6.,which does have fill tube.
If you do then it would still be a good idea to have the pan drained,cleaned and a new filter installed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Have replaced the black oil from July 2007 by pumping it out via the dip stick and will do a proper drain of the hot oil via the sump and do the filter change and sump clean up, etc. The only thing I then have not flushed will be the torque converter as I am not game enough to start the car (NOT RUNNING!) with 200 RPM to do so as recommended.

Thanks for help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
domwild
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing