Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm from Italy and I just registered on this forum that sounds very nice! First of all I am sorry for my bad english.

I think this argument has been talked about several times in this forum, but I can't find the SEARCH button to find existing threads

I have a C-CLASS 220 CDI (year 2003). When I bought it I paid 600 euros for a BOSE SOUND SYSTEM with 10 speakers for a total of 300 watt. The speakers system sounds very good, but the mono-cd radio is very very very bad.... After two years of blasphemies, I decided to change it with a JVC/ALPINE/PIONEER mp3-wma cd stereo with LCD TV. However I don't want to change the speakers.

I knew that BOSE SOUND SYSTEM speakers have a not-standard impedance and this make me unable to install a new stereo-cd in my car.

Is that true?
Does anyone have any experiences? Did you change your C-class mono-cd ???

Hope to receive your answer.
Thanks very much.

Donatello.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Donatello. There are headunits and separate power amplifiers which can be switched between the standard 4 ohm speakers and the 2.x ohm Bose speakers. Other amps car rated of a variety of impedances. A good audio professional should be able to help you find what you need.

Have you considered changing to a different MB headunit? I don't know which one you have, but many Americans have purchased the European specification Audio 10. It sounds much better than the Alpine headunits MB used in the US market.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lynn,
thanks for your answer. Now everything is clear.

I have not considered changing to a different MB headunit because I want a professional headunit with mp3-wma-dab-real equal... I also found a JVC headunit with hard disk (10 GB) useful to store your cd without a cd-changer but still with CD high quality. My Audio 10 is the european one and I don't like it because it has not many features: for ex. it hasn't fast track forward/fast track rewind, it hasn't a track timer, it has a small monocromatic (orange) display and a bad radio receiver.

Where can I see (online) MB headunite on sale?

Thank you very much for your attention.
Bye bye!
Donatello.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
mugen - 3/31/2005 11:41 AM

Hi,
I'm from Italy and I just registered on this forum that sounds very nice! First of all I am sorry for my bad english.

I think this argument has been talked about several times in this forum, but I can't find the SEARCH button to find existing threads

I have a C-CLASS 220 CDI (year 2003). When I bought it I paid 600 euros for a BOSE SOUND SYSTEM with 10 speakers for a total of 300 watt. The speakers system sounds very good, but the mono-cd radio is very very very bad.... After two years of blasphemies, I decided to change it with a JVC/ALPINE/PIONEER mp3-wma cd stereo with LCD TV. However I don't want to change the speakers.

I knew that BOSE SOUND SYSTEM speakers have a not-standard impedance and this make me unable to install a new stereo-cd in my car.

Is that true?
Does anyone have any experiences? Did you change your C-class mono-cd ???

Hope to receive your answer.
Thanks very much.

Donatello.
You need to purchase COMAND with navigation and LCD screen because if you dont then BOSE will stop working. Did you look in this website ?

www.mbenznl.com ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
miroj - 4/1/2005 11:31 PM

You need to purchase COMAND with navigation and LCD screen because if you dont then BOSE will stop working. Did you look in this website ?

www.mbenznl.com ?
Hi, thanks for your reply.
You posted a very interesting link, but there are no prices about their products. There are two COMAND with navigation and LCD screen (for C W203):

DVD COMAND for 2005 W203 C-class
http://www.mbenznl.com/products/w203comand.shtml

COMAND
http://www.mbenznl.com/products/comand.shtml

The first seems to be designed for the new 2005 C-class restyling, the second link has no pictures and it seems to be compatible with 2001-2004 (old) C-class like mine, but it has not DVD player function... I think that price will be so high that with the same money I would buy a complete pioneer AVIC X1R with DVD... Moreover I would not be able to install it by myself (they say it is difficult, even if possible) and for sure I'm not going outside Italy to install it. And the language? Is COMAND installed with my own ITALIAN language (including navigation voices and maps, comand software etc.)?

:( This is a very bad story.

I just need help from this forum's users who changed the AUDIO 10 CD headunit, keeping the BOSE sound system... Please help me!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FOR Lynn and everyone:

this is the headunit installed in my C220 CDI that I want to change:

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Okay, you already have the Audio 10 headunit.

If you change to an aftermarket unit, you will not be able to use the Bose amplifier. The headunit and the Bose amplifier are connect by fiber optic cable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lynn - 4/1/2005 7:05 AM

If you change to an aftermarket unit, you will not be able to use the Bose amplifier. The headunit and the Bose amplifier are connect by fiber optic cable.
Ok, but if I use an amplifier able to work from 2 to 8 impedance?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
mugen - 4/1/2005 5:37 AM

Lynn - 4/1/2005 7:05 AM

Ok, but if I use an amplifier able to work from 2 to 8 impedance?
If you ever want to sell your car. Dont do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
miroj - 4/1/2005 1:13 PM
If you ever want to sell your car. Dont do it.
Why?

Anyway, don't think I will sell my car for the next 5 years... (uff... I say always the same thing but... :p)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi again people.

Someone told me I can change the original Audio 10 headunit with an aftermarket headunit with the original BOSE speakers.
I only need a Line Out Converter to connect the aftermarket headunit to the original Bose Amplifier with the same impedance used by the original headunit.

What do you think about?

Another two question:

1)where can I find the original Bose amplifier in the car?
2)how can I remove the original headunit? Do I need any special instruments? Do you have a guide/instructions link?

Sorry for many questions, hope you take care about me, and sorry for my english again.

Bye bye!

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
mugen - 4/3/2005 2:11 PM

Hi again people.

Someone told me I can change the original Audio 10 headunit with an aftermarket headunit with the original BOSE speakers.
I only need a Line Out Converter to connect the aftermarket headunit to the original Bose Amplifier with the same impedance used by the original headunit.

What do you think about?

Another two question:

1)where can I find the original Bose amplifier in the car?
2)how can I remove the original headunit? Do I need any special instruments? Do you have a guide/instructions link?

Sorry for many questions, hope you take care about me, and sorry for my english again.

Bye bye!
If you remove Mercedes radio, you remove everything.

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/comand_2.0.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think so... and next days I will remove the original headunit to install a new one. I will let you know something.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
An aftermarket headunit cannot be connected to the Bose amp with line level converters because the connection from the headunit to the amp is fiber optic.

The stock headunit can be connected to an aftermarket amp with line level converters.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Lynn - 4/4/2005 2:55 PM

An aftermarket headunit cannot be connected to the Bose amp with line level converters because the connection from the headunit to the amp is fiber optic.

The stock headunit can be connected to an aftermarket amp with line level converters.
There must be some information coming from W210 old-E-CLASS users who have done that. Clearly that is old information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bad infos: I tried to connect an alpine radio with optical output to the Bose amplifier, but no way to hear anything....

Btw, I decided to not change the radio, but I just want to add a cd changer.

A simple question: does my original MB euro Audio10 headunit support original MB cd changer (you can see it in the picture)? I will buy it for 100 US$, is it a good price? :D

See u soon!
Byebye!

Attachments

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
mugen - 4/9/2005 5:24 AM

Bad infos: I tried to connect an alpine radio with optical output to the Bose amplifier, but no way to hear anything....

Btw, I decided to not change the radio, but I just want to add a cd changer.

A simple question: does my original MB euro Audio10 headunit support original MB cd changer (you can see it in the picture)? I will buy it for 100 US$, is it a good price? :D

See u soon!
Byebye!
Yes all parts of fibre optic system are supported. BOSE, CD, PHONE, Navigation, Voice control - all fibre optic. Did you connect power cable also ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you connect power cable also ?
I still did'nt purchase it. I am viewing offers in ebay and all over internet. I am sure MB dealer will want thousands of euros for it...

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts