Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
classic Mercedes sedan C200 yr 2000 WDB202020
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking to confirm previous 2013 post that:-

Car in gear (drive or reverse), foot on the brake, there is rough idle, but disappears in neutral or smooths out as you take off likely cause is faulty engine mounts. Also request location of engine mounts.

·
Registered
1999 C230 Kompressor
245 Posts
Yes, most likely the engine mounts. How about neutral with the brake on? If it idles poorly in neutral with the brake on, it could be a brake booster vacuum line issue.

I'm not familiar with non-USA spec W202s, but the mounts should be easy to spot by looking under the hood with a flashlight. They are usually on the left and right side of the engine. A fine-tooth flex head ratchet is usually needed for this job due to the lack of space you have to swing the ratchet in such a tight area.

·
Registered
classic Mercedes sedan C200 yr 2000 WDB202020
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the Car idle is normal in neutral with the brake on.
To change the engine mounts do you need to support the engine from underneath to hold the weight?

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
13,588 Posts
Seeking to confirm previous 2013 post that:-

Car in gear (drive or reverse), foot on the brake, there is rough idle, but disappears in neutral or smooths out as you take off likely cause is faulty engine mounts. Also request location of engine mounts.
Welcome to BW

As a benefit for yourself and a courtesy to all readers, kindly complete your member registration by filling in your complete vehicle profile.
Your vehicle profile info will appear under your avatar, then readers will see/identify what you have and respond accordingly: Complete your Profile

·
Registered
1999 C230 Kompressor
245 Posts
Yes the Car idle is normal in neutral with the brake on.
To change the engine mounts do you need to support the engine from underneath to hold the weight?
Yes you do. And you should only change 1 mount at a time. I drove the front end of my W202 up on ramps and then put the parking brake on nice and tight, and then placed a floor jack with a large piece of wood on top of it underneath the oil pan. I also put a couple pieces of scrap leather I had between the wood and oil pan to prevent marring the metal surface of the oil pan.

Once you have the bolts removed on one side, you can raise the jack until you have enough clearance to pull the old mount and put in the new one. Watch out for tight electrical wires while lifting the engine. The large wire that goes to the starter motor is the tightest but I was still able to do the job without disconnecting that wire.

I have a 99' C230K so the procedure is different but on one mount, I was able to unscrew the bolts from underneath the car and on the otherside, I was able to do it from the top of the car. There was also a metal heat shield for one of the mounts that had to be removed, it was held in by 8mm bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts