Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

C200 kompressor questions

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  lurk1n 
#1 ·
Hi guys, just picked up an earlier 2009 c200 Kompressor with only 46k on it.. The merc dealers assured me its normal for super charged models to be noisey on cold starts.. Sort of a mild whining noise for about a minute or so.. Does anyone else experience that maybe from new? The other thing I’d like to find out is the stereo volume. After turning down the volume to zero, you start the car again and it’s turned up again. Is there a way to change that? Regards Marty

#2 ·
Hi guys, just picked up an earlier 2009 c200 Kompressor with only 46k on it.. The merc dealers assured me its normal for super charged models to be noisey on cold starts.. Sort of a mild whining noise for about a minute or so..
I can't say about new but that the two 200 Kompressors I own(ed) from 32k and 47k miles respectively both did that when cold... As long as you don't hear any rattling etc. you're ok, but might be best to shoot a video, stick it on YouTube and share a link. Re stereo can't help as I replaced the factory stuff with aftermarket.

#4 ·
Thankyou, I just wasn’t sure I was being palmed off by Mercedes salesman.. I have a lovely old E230 under covers which is as quite as a mouse and no supercharge and a new x class twin turbo so I wasn’t accustomed to this type of cold start noise. I’m sure with only 46 thousand KMs on it it definitely shouldn’t have any issues.. Thankyou
Interesting.
What and where exactly is this mild whining coming from, the kompressor?

I ask because, we have a w202 99 c230K, no whining of any sort on a cold startup.
As well, the kompressor doesnt kick in on a startup or even at idle....not until you physically step down on the gas pedal to increase the rpms, in which case the kompressor will then kick in.
Is it different for the 09s?
Ok thanks mate, I’m not sure what makes the sound then but Mercedes salesman assured me they all do it so I just took his word for it.. Just thought I’d put it out there and make sure others have that “whatever it is” sound when cold.. cheer

#3 ·
Hi guys, just picked up an earlier 2009 c200 Kompressor with only 46k on it.. The merc dealers assured me its normal for super charged models to be noisey on cold starts.. Sort of a mild whining noise for about a minute or so.. Does anyone else experience that maybe from new? The other thing I’d like to find out is the stereo volume. After turning down the volume to zero, you start the car again and it’s turned up again. Is there a way to change that? Regards Marty
Interesting.
What and where exactly is this mild whining coming from, the kompressor?

I ask because, we have a w202 99 c230K, no whining of any sort on a cold startup.
As well, the kompressor doesnt kick in on a startup or even at idle....not until you physically step down on the gas pedal to increase the rpms, in which case the kompressor will then kick in.
Is it different for the 09s?