Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site, and already have a little problem.
I have a 2005 merc c 180 kompressor. No problems till this morning. Car is sluggish on idle. 800 rpm. also when put into gear either R or D, the revs drop to 400 and it seems as though it wants to stall. ( and has stalled a couple of times ). No obvious misfire when driving but when revs low or car stops very 'chuggy' I have checked spark plugs, these in in good condition. Code is showing P0010. Not sure where to go from here... Any ideas please ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure but if it is its tooo much work for little old me...

I have removed the 2 cam position actuators located at the front of the cams and both of these have oil in them. though not in the wire harness. Is this normal ?

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
Not sure but if it is its tooo much work for little old me...

I have removed the 2 cam position actuators located at the front of the cams and both of these have oil in them. though not in the wire harness. Is this normal ?
Yep it seems normal..

Check all the vacuum + breather hoses to and from the engine components..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it turns out that it is the timing chain, tis slipped and kaput Oh and the inlet cam gear is shaggggged as well.. Cost to repair.....£1300. .

I think this may well be my last mercedes... £ 5oo for the Cam gear alone..

Thanks for the advice guys..

Wish it was 2013 already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep it seems normal..

Check all the vacuum + breather hoses to and from the engine components..
Hello All,
I am new to this forum. This forum has got so much to offer its full of information and mercedes experts. I really appreciate people sharing the information here. So well done guys! Thanks for the forum!

Regarding the issue I am having with my C180 Kompressor.
I bought this car a few weeks ago from a dealer in surrey UK.
The car was in excellent condition interior and exterior wise. The car seemed to drive fine. I t ha doen 107000 miles.
I had a broken spring which I got replaced both.
But suddenly i was struck lightening bolt, when the car wont start in the morning.
I tried the engine turned but it wont start.Prior to this going back a few days Engine light came on few days ago for a day then went off. THe car was shaking a little on idle at time but i was told by freind the revs just needs adjusting.
Then suddenly it wont start.
I took the car to nearest garage they told me the timing belt has jumped and the whole engine needs rebuilding, will cost me £1100-£1500 depending how much the engine is damaged, I was shocked to hear that absolutley no idea how can a engine go bust like this.
I need advice here regarding what should be the best course of action.
I have complained to dealer and he came and picked up the car from garage.
The dealer has promised to fix the car or take it back but he wants me to contribute towards repair 50%.
THe garage guy says the dealer mught to a quick fix job and iwill have to foot the bill in future.
I am worried as I dont know if the repair carried will restore my car to a near perfect condition or if its not worht having it repaired.
I dont mind taking the vehicle back but I dont know if the car will be good for another few years.
YOu guys are expert here please advise me! i will appreciate you help.
THanks
J

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also adding to the earlier post i got this car free health check at local mercedes dealership couple of weeks after i bought it, they did no identfiy any problems with chain or engine.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,940 Posts
Before you do anything, check the error codes. That can help us determine what the problem could be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sucks fella. Hope you get a positive result out of it. Mine eventually cost me £1800 to repair as it had also damaged 8 valves as well. The place where i had it fixed said that they were experiencing more and more probs with this engine at this sort of mileage and are recommending new timing chains at 100k. Not really what i expected when buying a merc but it would have been cheaper than the repair i ended up with. Good luck...

·
Registered
5 Posts
That sucks fella.............would have been cheaper than the repair i ended up with. Good luck...

Thanks for your reply buddy! :)

I am only worried the dealer might wanna do a quick fix job and may not change all the damaged valves to do cheaper job but i dont know if its possible for dealer to get away with it.

I had a chat with other mechanic and he says he can do the job for £900 quids if he only replace the Valves that are damaged but if he was to do a proper job it will cost aroun 1500 to 2000 well I am so confused :confused:

·
Registered
2004 c180 kompressor
4 Posts

I have a 2005 merc c 180 kompressor. No problems till this morning. Car is sluggish on idle. 800 rpm. also when put into gear either R or D, the revs drop to 400 and it seems as though it wants to stall. ( and has stalled a couple of times ). No obvious misfire when driving but when revs low or car stops very 'chuggy' I have checked spark plugs, these in in good condition. Code is showing P0010. Not sure where to go from here... Any ideas please ?
I have a 2004 C180 Kompressor, which has exactly the same problems. My car has been in the garage for over a week, & has various items replaced. The mechanic has tried everything that he can think of, but nothing has worked. I will let you know if I get my car fixed. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts