Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone new to the board!,

I have a problem with my c180 1995 Merc, this morning when i started the car i always warm it up before going, i noticed a strange problem when i was reving from 2000-2500 the car would feel like it losing power and the rev meter stick will go up and down between 2000-2500 abut after that it will be normal the more i rev the more the stick will move in one motion. So i driving to work and everything was fine , but when i was driving back from work all of a sudden the car just clunked out completely stopped and was unable to get it running again.
So i tried the ignition again and it make the the extra kick to get the motor starting, i tried 3 times but then noticed the power losing so i stopped didnt want to drain the battery. When i got it towed back home and tried starting again it was making a clicking noise next to the passenger seat, at first it thought it could have been the fuel pump , but when i checked the wire at the back there was power going into the fuel pump , since the car now has no power i decided to charge the battery and noticed that there was no water in the battery at all and thought that could be the problem.

what do you guys think the problem could be? fuel pump , battery or....

btw each time i start the car all lights come up as normal.

thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so the battery has now been charged, i tested the fuel relay switch located in the boot , i thought maybe it could be the relay switch so i briged the socket ( 87 and 38 ) and the car still does not start, i am now confused and do not want to deal with the rip off techs , im quite confident that the issue is electrical , i spoke to a classic MB mech they advised it could be the luminos connection not sure if thats the correct word for it , maybe it could have a burnt wire im not sure, could it possbily be the immobiliser? when i lock and unlock the car the green and red LED flashes like always , when i turn on the key before the extra bit where it actually turns the car on all lights on the dash flashes up.

can anyone at all help diagnose the problem im getting desperate !

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,732 Posts
I'd start by putting a different battery in. If there's no fluid in there, it ain't gonna work. A battery can even appear "charged", but when it's old and has low fluid, you won't have the cranking amps necessary to start the car. Is the battery 5 years old or older? If so, definitely time to replace it.

Otherwise, do you hear a subtle humming from the fuel pump, or is it dead silent? No noise = no fuel to the injectors.

Also, have you tried pulling a spark plug out to see if you're getting any spark?

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'd start by putting a different battery in. If there's no fluid in there, it ain't gonna work. A battery can even appear "charged", but when it's old and has low fluid, you won't have the cranking amps necessary to start the car. Is the battery 5 years old or older? If so, definitely time to replace it.

Otherwise, do you hear a subtle humming from the fuel pump, or is it dead silent? No noise = no fuel to the injectors.

Also, have you tried pulling a spark plug out to see if you're getting any spark?

Cheers,
Chris
thank you thank you thank you for a reply ,

at first the battery had no fluid when i checked on the first day so i added fluid in and left the battery charge for hrs , i dont think its the battery as when you try to start the car it still kicks like it was normally.

There is noise coming from the fuel pump so it cant be that .

just tried removing sparkplug to test impossible to do feels like its glued in although everything still looks brand new the car only has done 140km and is about 12yrs old, the carb is is spotless

what other possibilities could it be?

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
This might sound too easy

thank you thank you thank you for a reply ,

at first the battery had no fluid when i checked on the first day so i added fluid in and left the battery charge for hrs , i dont think its the battery as when you try to start the car it still kicks like it was normally.

There is noise coming from the fuel pump so it cant be that .

just tried removing sparkplug to test impossible to do feels like its glued in although everything still looks brand new the car only has done 140km and is about 12yrs old, the carb is is spotless

what other possibilities could it be?
How old is the fuel filter? this might be your missing link.
You should remove at least one spark plug and inspect, they probably need changed anyway with a new set of wires. If you are having problems with rust then use some penatrant, let it soak for a bit then give it a try to remove them. If you are able to change these items and the car runs put some injector cleaner in the tank. B

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
CEL

Artline,

Does your model have a Check Engine Light? If so is it lit? Also does your C-180 use a Mass Air Flow Sensor or is it on a Manifold Pressure System?

Reasoning for my questions... See a thread I started on 11-27-07 titled Crank Position Sensor DIY Replacement. Our C-220 acted up like that, died at a light, started later when I came to my wife's rescue. Then it crapped out again onther day and would not run. Drove me crazy (and I don't live far from there) while I put in parts like the Crank Position Sensor. It still didn't start till later on in the battle and it turned out to be a bad MAF. Kinda makes me the MAF Poster Boy of the site sometimes,:p but these things Will drive you crazy chasing them down.

Be sure and post your results for the benifit of others in the future.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks everyone for replying ,

to cishade yes it does but it does not come on, i guess it only comes on once the car has fired up . mine does not it kicks but does not fire.

today my dad removed the sparkplug and said that when he tested it no sparks were coming out im taking a guess its the spark plug then it could be electrical also what should i be looking for if its electrical the coils?

. i dont understand how this has happened the car is 12yrs old and has only done 130km on it .

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Computer

You may have some codes that you could read that would help you. If you can get access to a code reader it may really help you.

Something you need to understand is that your car is run by a COMPUTER that will do this:pas while you look like:surrender:trying to figure out what is going on. It's probably the Computer that is cutting of your spark. You have to figure out what the Computer is seeing, or missing that is causing it to shut down the car. The Crank Position sensor will do that, the imobilizer will do that also. I chased my tail around and around with ours same as you and it turned out to be the Mass Air Flow Sensor. If you have one of those, try unplugging it and see if the car starts. The symtoms you first described in you first post sounded like a bad MAF. If you end up needing one buy the Insert Only. They are much cheaper and easy to install.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same car, same year, same problem two days ago. Changed the fuel filter and after two min. traying it starts like noting happend.

Filter costs 30 euro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts