Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No mine were COMPLETELY consumed. Yours have around 40-50% life left in them. Maybe the picture helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML430
6 Posts
Instructions needed for changing ABS pump motor brushes

I have the same problem (C1401) with my 2000 ML430, 140 k miles. I took apart the ABS pump motor yesterday and I have worn out brushes. It is not clear to me how to get the new brushes in. The brush holder is melt attached to the front flange. Do I need to remove it or is there some other way to get the new brushes in? Also, the brush cables are attached, but it does not appear to be a solder attachment. What solder and temperature should I use (Rosin, silver, etc.)?

·
Registered
2007 E63 AMG
18 Posts
Anyone know where to source replacement bushes in the UK?

I have the dreaded three lights of death, and I'm working through the seemingly many problems that can cause it!

Thanks,

·
Outstanding Contributor
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,266 Posts
Anyone know where to source replacement bushes in the UK?

I have the dreaded three lights of death, and I'm working through the seemingly many problems that can cause it!

Thanks,
Scott, the important thing here is, is the code C1401 stored in your truck? If it isn't then you will be performing an unnecessary repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 E63 AMG
18 Posts
Thanks fo the advice. No, I haven't got the code, but the symptoms are identical. I took the motor out today and inspected the brushes and one was right down to its limit. I clened it up a bit and put it all back together.

Guess what? lights are now off:):):) but this is unlikely to be for long, so I'll need to get some brushes for a permanent fix.

If I'd gone to a dealer, I'm sure they would have 'recommended' an entire new ABS pump (plus fitting) at some extortionate price.

Many thanks to hilarushi for the tip!

·
Registered
2000 ML320
8 Posts
I'd like to post my thanks to all who have posted here, I had to replace the brushes in my ABS pump motor after finding code C1401, and the 3 lights of doom in my 2000 ML320.

So, 3 hours later (would have been less, but the little cup that the end of the motor spindle sits in did pop out and it was a right PITA to get back in) and the brakes work as they should again. 32 bucks (Aussie) and a couple of skinned knuckles instead of $1300 and having to starve for a month.

And I have ABS again. Woohoo!

·
Registered
2007 E63 AMG
18 Posts
I'd like to post my thanks to all who have posted here, I had to replace the brushes in my ABS pump motor after finding code C1401, and the 3 lights of doom in my 2000 ML320.

So, 3 hours later (would have been less, but the little cup that the end of the motor spindle sits in did pop out and it was a right PITA to get back in) and the brakes work as they should again. 32 bucks (Aussie) and a couple of skinned knuckles instead of $1300 and having to starve for a month.

And I have ABS again. Woohoo!
How did you manage to get the cup back on to the spindle in the end?

·
Registered
1 Posts
ABS pump removal

Which is the best way to remove the ABS pump?
Do you remove the windshield washer resevoir along with the driver side head lamp or do you go through the wheel well?

Once the pump is out, how hard is it to replace the brushes on the motor?

Does anyone knowoff a good shop to purchase them?

2002 Ml 320

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Remove the washer fluid reservoir.
As far as I know shops will not even go through the trouble of repairing or installing only the motor because that will not make them money. Its not hard if you have some basic Do It Yourself skills. Good luck.

·
Registered
2007 E63 AMG
18 Posts
Yes, take out the washer fluid reservoir, although in my 270ML its been carefully designed so its slightly too large to come out easily, and requires a lot of pulling and scraping of the reservoir on the sides as you pull it out

The motor is simply held to the ABS block with x2 torx screws, its easy to take out, but be really carefull pulling out the motor from the block, if the cap comes out to, its a real PITA to get it back in. I think hilarushi describes the best way of withrawing the motor only slightly and putting a flat screwdriver blade between the block and motor so the cap doesn't come off.

I unfortunately didn't do this and the cap came out with the motor and after a LOT of screwing around I devised a way to get it back in. I'll describe it here for reference. and hopefully help some poor soul somewhere!

1) Get a 10cm length of PVC plastic pipe, with an inside diameter slightly larger than the diameter of the cap (i.e. the cap will slide freely up and down it. The pipe I had had an OD of 19mm and was perfect.
2) At one end, cut sections on each side of the pipe, not so you have a complete point at one end, rather that it has small flat sections like a bladed screwdriver. The objective is so that the two 'blades' can be inserted between the two teeth in the ABS block, the plastic is should be flexible enough to do this, and the notches you cut out mean the blades will get into the recess in the ABS block.
3) with the plastic pipe in position, insert the cup into the other end of the pipe (make sure its the right way round....).
4) using a screwdriver, push the cap down the pipe. As it reaches the end, the plastic blades push against the two teeth in the block, pushing them apart, and the cap slides in!
5) Holding the cap in place with your screwdriver (or whatever you used to push the cap), withdraw the plastic pipe

·
Registered
2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
711 Posts
Here is what I don't understand. When I removed motor I could not figure out how to separate the armature from the cap. See the attached picture. How do you separate? And then what is process/best way to trade out the brushes?

You need to have armature removed to slide new brushes in, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 E63 AMG
18 Posts
I very carefully bent the metal brush carrier apart until I could pull the old brush out and get the new one in, then closed them using needle nosed pliers. Not how its meant to be done I'm sure, but to get the armature out you'd need to remove the bearings at the top.

·
Registered
2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
711 Posts
Makes sense...Where the brush wire connects to the cap can you just unsolder old and resolder in new? Or do you leave a bit of wire to connect to?

21 - 40 of 372 Posts