Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

361 - 372 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,463 Posts
Hello all, I am trying to debug the subject issue here, BAS/ETS/ABS.. lights. The three lights under this discussion. Step 1 as suggested was to jump relay K25 to see if the motor kicks in. However, i opened up my fuse box and K25 is empty, no relay there and it is also left blank on the list under the fusebox cover. Mine is a 2005 W163. I also checked inside fusebox location but not there eithet. Does anyone know where it was moved or if this is a design change for this year? Thank you!
As of MY2003 all electronics and controls were moved to hydraulic unit behind left headlight. Only thing left over in fuse box is 40A fuse for the pump.

·
Registered
2005 ML350
12 Posts
As of MY2003 all electronics and controls were moved to hydraulic unit behind left headlight. Only thing left over in fuse box is 40A fuse for the pump.
Thank you! I have the 40A fuse as well but nothing else. Is there a way to short the motor and test functionality like the old way? I am trying to avoid opening the motor without proof although all indications are the brushes might be done. She did 192k on the original

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,463 Posts
Thank you! I have the 40A fuse as well but nothing else. Is there a way to short the motor and test functionality like the old way? I am trying to avoid opening the motor without proof although all indications are the brushes might be done. She did 192k on the original
I don't know of any other way other then connecting diagnostic rig and running component activation.

Have you read codes from traction systems?

·
Registered
2005 ML350
12 Posts
I don't know of any other way other then connecting diagnostic rig and running component activation.

Have you read codes from traction systems?
Not yet. I was hoping to check if the motor is the issue using shorting the relay method first. I will get the code read.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,389 Posts
HenET:

Yes get your codes read.

Or get a Pro level scanner for $150-200 or as Witek posted
last week a cool Bluetooth Pro Dongle for $70 ish and pair with Smartphone.

I had C1401, C 1025-3 and many more CANBUS comm errors.

All 3 lights lit limp mode very bad. No drive for 90 days !

Suspected bad ABS pump brushes, Fried BAS / ESP module or bad Yaw Sensor.

After all that it apparently it was bad / corrupted ABS wheel speed signals from failing sensors.

I suspect the cables have internal wire failure from the millions of flexing of suspension over 18 years.

This sends dead /no signal or corrupted wheel speed signal (which perfect signal is basis for ALL ABS / Traction control functionality) signal causing '3 light salute" lit + beeping while above 5mph & perhaps limp mode.

The guys here REALLY helped me sort it out. I thank God & this fabulous group of BenzWorld w163 Techs here every day we drive the ML.

Also at same time I replaced all 4 ABS Wheel Sensors - I did replace the Trouble prone Brake light switch.

It does many functions and can also cause ABS errors if failing internally. Mine looked original & was but $20 for oe part.

I say this to you because I was all ready to do ABS motor brush repair (I did see a C1401 code 2x) but after 20 days of trouble free "No warning lights " driving I'm 90% sure it was the bad VSS (short for ABS Sensors) setting off my multiple module failure warnings.

Thats not to say I may not have to rebuild ABS Motor in future, of course.

But tracing down to the simplist cause is always the best way.

PS: the bad VSS sometimes give a code, but sometimes not.

And I bought 3 'late ML' VSS by accident for 2003-2005 and cannot use them.

I missed my Amazon return window.

Youre welcome to them, Gratis.

If your VIN is post A371935 they'll fit.

Best wishes - David in Texas

·
Registered
2005 ML350
12 Posts
Thank you for the detailed response David! I totally agree in getting the codes read and performing just the necessary fix. Do you recommend any specific scan tool to get the pro level reading? Near the price range you suggested.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You could read here FOREVER on Scanners.

To sum up: most here use Foxwell NT series OR Autel 802.

My Foxwell NT530 does all MB models & came with Duplexer Adapter cable specially needed for 2000 e320 (w210), which requires 38 pin Scan Interface.

Thats only a concern if you have a w210 of course.

But another legit way forward was the NICE Pro Bluetooth Dongle that plugs into your OBD 16 pin underdash port and does one model MB for $70 w/ Smartphone App.

Id post link to that thread member Witek posted on it last 2 weeks but Im not on PC.

Maybe somebody can ?

Hope this helps ya.

Whats the last 7 of your MLs VIN ?

Should be like Axxxxxx ?

Regards - David in Texas

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
4,556 Posts
As per David's comments in post #367- BT Dongle

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Khomer you are too efficient Brother !

Love it...

Hen read up on that idea.

Each Addl model costs like $50 to add to Software package.

But you get 1st model MB inc for $70.

That's a better deal than $200 I paid to scan out 2 MB models.

Gotta forecast your needs.

On ABS wheel speed sensors, my 3 'late ML' ie 2003-2005 specific ones would fit your ML.

MB changed some aspect of how sensors work so the 1998-2002 pre A371935 ones don't interchange with post A371935 ones for 2003-2005 models.

If you think you'll need them I will send them gladly. I cant bear to toss new parts in the 'Bin'.

I only have 3, all except the Drivers Rear.

But reading your codes first is key.

How many miles on your rig ?

David

·
Registered
2005 ML350
12 Posts
Thank you Khomer and David! I will look into the dongle.
David, I will reach out to you if the scan points to the speed sensor/s. Mine has 192K miles and still drives very well. Addressed many of the common issues over the decade of ownership.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Good deal !

I rejoice when I hear others with w163's at higher miles vs mine.
Mine is 162 k @ today.
Hope that it will go MUCH farther.
It is very strong but its seemingly the little bits that 'gum up the works', right ?

David

361 - 372 of 372 Posts