Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cl 500 1998
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, HELP please!

I bought my C140 with 255/45 tires on 18" rims and i'm lookig for their correct load index for this car. Now i have 99V (775 kg). The manual states that the original wheels/tires assembled by MB were 235/60/16 100 (800 kg).
But since I have different ones what the load index should be? I'm getting to conclusion that my 99V is not enought since i've been having problems with the car shaking for a long time, checked many things and wrong load index is the last logical thing to check...

HELP ! This damn shaking takes away all pleasure of driving this great car...

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,200 Posts
Hi guys, HELP please!

I bought my C140 with 255/45 tires on 18" rims and i'm lookig for their correct load index for this car. Now i have 99V (775 kg). The manual states that the original wheels/tires assembled by MB were 235/60/16 100 (800 kg).
But since I have different ones what the load index should be? I'm getting to conclusion that my 99V is not enought since i've been having problems with the car shaking for a long time, checked many things and wrong load index is the last logical thing to check...

HELP ! This damn shaking takes away all pleasure of driving this great car...
The load index is a rating of the tires ability to carry a certain load. The higher the number the more load it can carry.
Load index will not matter, you want the circumference of the tires to be pretty consistent with oem specs.

How in heck did you get 255s installed (assuming a square setup), without them extending beyond the fender lips or rubbing?

correct oem wheel sizes for w202

Shaking is another matter.
Provide a history of what specifically you checked/scanned & how you came to this conclusion.

Please update your user cp info.

·
Registered
Cl 500 1998
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought this car with the 255/45 tires and assumed that they are ok. But now i have my doubts. And they do not extend beyond the fender.

I'm waiting for the MB to check and let me know on the tire size, load index etc best for my rims. Hope they have that kind of info.

This shaking is stronger for the first kilometeres (sometimes more then 20 km, sometime less) even after just few days of not driving the car. Then after these kilometers driven the tire shapes back more oval and the shaking is less. But still is.
And not long ago I had the wheels extra checked and weight on the Hunter machine and after there was no more shaking when the tire shaped back after some kilometeres. Then I did not drive the car for three weeks and since then it's bak again... It's like the more my car is in one place, the more the tires deform.

So i assume it's a tire problem, not the suspension or so (which i have checked and replaced the old or worn parts).

What do you think ?
And what cp info u have in mind?

·
Registered
Cl 500 1998
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So just got the info from MB - my Cl had 235/55 101 load index tyres at first. U think it'll help that much changing mine to these?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts