Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C1320 Component Y10 (SPS solenoid valve) is faulty or there is an open circuit in the wiring of the component.

-Does this mean I need a new steering column ?
-What should/could be symptoms for the truck ?
( I have an idea but just want to hear it to make sure )

And in ESP I had another code:

C1142 B24/2 (ESP lateral acceleration sensor)

-I checked the actual values and found that (Key on, engine off) I actually had value there...Lateral accel sensor was giving -2,80ms/s and Yaw rate was giving -0.34ms/s. (Maybe its not ms/s but I know I had values and Im pretty sure it should be at 0 when car standing perfectly on the ground)

-I assume the standard for the sensors when car not moving is 0 but why does it only gives fault code for Lat.accel.sen when Yaw.rate.sen seems faulty too since its giving me reading too ? Maybe the limit spec are not reached by Yaw rate and only reached by Lat.accel.sen is out of tolerating spec ?

Am I wrong with the next statment:
Yaw rate will cause brake to be applied
Lat.accel.sen will cause engine to cut off

Im actually suffering from engine to cut off on sharp u-turn but even low speed and dry ground, intermittantly. Which I hate because you look very stupid, specially when cars following you and you start to jerk like mad. This is probably due to the false reading my Lat.accel.rate is giving me, right ?

Sorry for the long post, just want to be as specific as possible.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
From what system did you get C1320? ETS, ESP, Traction. I ask this because there isn't any C1320 in either. Code C1000 is reserved for Speed Sen. Steering.

SPS or the rest of the codes have nothing to do with the steering column.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Both codes are found under ESP.
Yeah, as you can see, I posted the codes from ETS because it is the only system that shows anything for SPS (Speed Sensitive Steering) whic is code C1000. Code C1320 does not appear as a valid code. The last code number in the 1300's is C1319.

What I am asking is where did you get your definition of what code C1320 is? Did you get it from the internet, or do you have documentation from M/B that says that C1320 refers to SPS? If so could you please post it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its printed straight out of sds, i still have the sheet with me but no scanner..

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I check actual values of that valve with SDS ? Cannot find wiring diag. for this in WIS...

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
C1320 Component Y10 (SPS solenoid valve) is faulty or there is an open circuit in the wiring of the component......What should/could be symptoms for the truck?( I have an idea but just want to hear it to make sure )
In relation to this specific question it would be STIFF/NON-EXISTENT POWER STEERING.

Ask me how I know.:mad:

I have been suffering from this for a while and I am just sick and tired of it all at this point.

Seeing that you have an 'open circuit in the wiring' you may want to check under the truck and see whether the electrical connector to the Y10 is properly seated.

There is a picture of the Y10 in the attached pdf (which I attach ONLY for purposes of showing you where on the steering rack the Y10 is located).

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx 43sqd and Far888...

Does E-class (model 211) has same valve as us ? Because it says that I "could" replace individual part (valve?) wich I doubt ?? Im confuse because i thought this couldnt be bought separatly ??
Can someone clear my mind on this ?

(And you are right, my PS is operating at like 50% of capacity. On highway it doesnt make really a difference but when wife try to park it, she needs both arms to turn wheels :p )

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Thx 43sqd and Far888...

Does E-class (model 211) has same valve as us ? Because it says that I "could" replace individual part (valve?) wich I doubt ?? Im confuse because i thought this couldnt be bought separatly ??
Can someone clear my mind on this ?

(And you are right, my PS is operating at like 50% of capacity. On highway it doesnt make really a difference but when wife try to park it, she needs both arms to turn wheels :p )
That is the problem right there.

There is no information on the Y10/Valve?? for ML55 and 43sqd, correctly, says it is not a replaceable part or at least the part that is replaceable is not the part responsible for the stiff power steering.

I'm just fed up with the whole thing and have resigned myself to the eventual purchase of a traction control module and entire steering rack at some point - In the meantime, I've enrolled at my local gym to develop some biceps to assist in my driving of my ML55 with stiff power steering.:crybaby2:

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,756 Posts
Can I check actual values of that valve with SDS ? Cannot find wiring diag. for this in WIS...
Here is portion of wiring diagram showing Y10. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1467778-ml55-stiff-steering-faulty-traction-control-4.html#post3765832

SDS in ESP>component activation should have option to activate Y10.

ML55 in factory manual is treated like a step child. There is no diagnostics, no codes. Only in function description there is mention of SPS.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,756 Posts
In relation to this specific question it would be STIFF/NON-EXISTENT POWER STEERING.

Ask me how I know.:mad:

I have been suffering from this for a while and I am just sick and tired of it all at this point.

Seeing that you have an 'open circuit in the wiring' you may want to check under the truck and see whether the electrical connector to the Y10 is properly seated.

There is a picture of the Y10 in the attached pdf (which I attach ONLY for purposes of showing you where on the steering rack the Y10 is located).
Here is picture of Y10 on real ML55. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1467778-ml55-stiff-steering-faulty-traction-control-8.html#post4426044

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
...ML55 in factory manual is treated like a step child. There is no diagnostics, no codes. Only in function description there is mention of SPS.
You can say that again! :(

For clarity, does Y10 mean the same thing as a proportioning valve or a parametric valve?

Also, I understand that other MLs (ML320, ML430, ML500) are not equipped with speed sensitive power steering (SPS) .

HOW then is their power steering regulated at speed?

Surely, without SPS their (other MLs) steering controls would feel, as a very good friend of mine once joked, like an old Cadillac;) - They however don't feel any less controllable than the SPS equipped ML55.

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry 43....maybe ill find a way to put in on USB later but as of now i cant. But thrust me, I printed it out myself and its exaclty what its showing me. And for value, SDS will switch to HHT if I remember correctly, just as I checked values for Lat and Yaw sensor?

Still...why is my Yaw rate not giving me fault code ? Will only replacing Lat.accel.sen fixed my jerking engine while slow turning on dry road ?

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a way to disconnect the module that makes your engine to cut off power while turning ? Or if I totaly remove/disconnect my lat.accel.sensor will it cancel that ? (wich i wouldnt mind)

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Is there a way to disconnect the module that makes your engine to cut off power while turning ? Or if I totaly remove/disconnect my lat.accel.sensor will it cancel that ? (wich i wouldnt mind)
You can't disconnect anything because things will get worse.

There is only one test for code C1142 and that is a voltage test at the ESP/Traction Control Module. Scroll down to C1142 and the test involves #1 connector and wires 22 and 24. The connector views are provided at the end of the sheet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 ML55
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't disconnect anything because things will get worse.
I already have light on in cluster and system is already erratic, how can it get worse :p
Wouldnt a disconnected sensor cancel system ?
I dont want to pay 200$ for that sensor :(

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Yeah,

Have you any further information/news on solving your stiff power steering vis-a-vis replacing the Y10/solenoid valve on the steering rack (in attached picture)?

I am so turned off by the thought of having to purchase a $1000+ steering rack just to replace a single part (which is clearly capable of replacement as a single entity) and which cannot cost anything over $50.:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Just to update you all on the issue of the Y10 (speed sensitive steering solenoid valve) being capable of replacement as a SINGLE part:

YES, it is possible to replace it as a single part.

There is no need to buy a whole new steering rack.

I was able to purchase the Y10 (SPS solenoid valve) from the following ZF Steering Systems outlet in Alabama:

POWER STEERING ASSOCIATES (Ask for Jeff Parker)
1961 4th AVE SW BESSEMER , AL 35022
ph-205.426.4327--fax-205.426.1188
[email protected]

Part# 7039 442 250
Price $140.32

I'd like to say a huge thanks to Witek for pointing me in the right direction of ZF Steering Systems.:thumbsup:

I have attached a picture of the part:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Farid, the Y10 valve was never your problem. The problem was that the Traction Control Module was not delivering voltage to the valve at idle and low speeds.

This post is going to be misleading in that present & future readers will think that replacement of this valve will cure their problem (stiff steering) as it will not, unless the valve was damaged or the valve proved to be faulty following electrical tests.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts