Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
MB is currently charging over $18,000 USD for their set-up
ACKCHYUALLY......it's $36k before tax, and that's just the laptop + hardware. You have to pony up another few grand (about $15k or so) for a server that's going to be on site -- that server is going to connect to the Xentry Diagnosis Pad and VCI (their name for the laptop and hardware connecting to car, respectively) and push updates during slow times. That server is going to be the one that stores and pushes all the relevant files necessary for programming or whatnot to individual Pad, etc.

MB really, REALLY went out of their way to make their newest system "hack" proof -- I say in quotes because by hack, I mean cloning. They don't want the chinese to be able to clone it.

While high end scanners like Snap-on, Autel, Autologic or whathaveyou do have all the same protocol as the official MB software, and can access all the same sensors as the SDS....the conversion is not exact and they do sometimes report odd codes or odd values. I've read codes with my $3000 autel scanner, and then read the same exact code on the SDS and the message changed between the two. Pretty rare, but it does happen.

Sorry mate, I'm really bored today and want to be pedantic.

W220 Moderator
Sorry mate, I'm really bored today and want to be pedantic.
Yeah, but you're right ;)

Hey, if u bored find me that Vediamo (how to set ECO stop start to Off as it's default), bloomin' ECO shit is getting on my tits, start Car press button, that's twice as much work as I need to be doin' :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Registered
2005 S600
If you were closer, I would say, bring it by my shop (I am a hobbyist, not a professional) and let me take a look. We would put it on the lift and fire up SDS. While the MB copy is ludicrously expensive, my Chinese clone set me back about $500.

It is worth more than the rest of my tools combined in the value it provides for diagnosis.

Your mate might be a good guy, but I think he buggered this sensor, and it takes someone with experience to see it. I could be wrong, but it's a common mistake, and there are threads on this precise problem every couple of months.

Here's my S600 in my shop. Yeah, I am an amateur, but not without experience...

Registered
2005 S600
It鈥檚 a bit crowded right now as I work through some issues (timing chain, valve clearance, injectors, fuel system, engine mounts, subframe mounts, ball joints, bushings, axles, brakes) on a bud鈥檚 1975 450SL... but having done upper control arms, ball joints, etc on a W220, I will tell you that it鈥檚 easy to get that sensor installed a bit off.

You'll note the laptop bag on the workbench - yep, that's got my SDS in it...

Attachments

W220 Moderator
Very nice DIY Shop, you should be proud :)

Bin Bag in the dustbin is a bit girly tho :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Ok. So I have asked my mate whether he has Mercedes Star/DAS/XENTRY and he replied thay he does. I am going to borrow it from him, but apart from the voltage not sure what else I'll be looking for.
I'll also take car to another mate who will do wheel alignment and once I've got car on flat surface I can reset ride hight, which I hope should fix it?
I'll look for the hight sensor bracket but I dint think he touched it as he was doing lower ball joint not the upper one.
I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it.
In the meantime if you have any suggestions to the "guided tests" I would appreciate your input.
Regards, Radek

W220 Moderator
Get your mate who owns the SDS to do the Diag and Testing, it would take an epic of War and Peace to tell you what tests, then depending on what results next test etc etc, but watch while he's doing it, then you will see why it is not just a code reader, and why it is necessary to have one if you own a Mercedes ;)

Registered
So I plugged it in yesterday and took some pictures to pick your brains... It seems that one side of the car is bit higher... most likely related to pressure being lot higher on the right front 8.37bar compared to left front 6.73bar. Rear is similar but discrepancy slightly smaller.
There is difference on level sensors but car was on the perfectly flat ramp, so there shouldn't be any?
Acceleration sensors values were different too, but discrepancy is not that significant (58mV difference)
I have attached photos and I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks in advance and regards

Attachments

W220 Moderator
What about all the lengthy Guided Tests, what did they show ?

So from that Data first thing I'd look for is a misaligned Front Left Height Sensor, (bent Bracket) or Sensor going bad or bad connection

Registered
What about all the lengthy Guided Tests, what did they show ?

So from that Data first thing I'd look for is a misaligned Front Left Height Sensor, (bent Bracket) or Sensor going bad or bad connection
None of those is the case

W220 Moderator
Oh OK then, on ye go let us know when you've fixed it :)

Registered
2005 S600
鈥淥pen to suggestions鈥...but summarily dismiss any that are offered...

:unsure:

Registered
鈥淥pen to suggestions鈥...but summarily dismiss any that are offered...

:unsure:
Not dismiss but ruled out after checking. You don't need to repeat sake advise over and over again he-said ot onece and I've checked and informed that solution didnt work -simple!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts