Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall both of you installed Toyo Proxes S/T's.
Were they decent in the winter?

Let me know...

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
roadsession - 3/27/2005 7:07 PM

Let me know...

Thanks
l only ride them in the summer....l have Pirelli Ice and Snow's for the winter 255/60/17's......l live in the Southern Ontario area, where we accumlate alot of snow....These, in my opinion, would not be a good winter tire...

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you're kidding me...
UGH.
I need a all season tire.

The Michelin XPC 4x4's cost me a small fortune but were great all around...but they don't make them anymore and even if they did, not in the 275 55 17 series I need.

I keep reading very mixed reviews about the michelin cross terrains. I mean for the price, if winter performance is similar between the michelin cross terrains and Toyo Proxes S/T's,.... i guess i'm trying to find someone who can validate they're ok for winter use...

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
l'm sorry man...l don't think they would be a good winter tire..take a look....

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Why don't you check out the Michelin X-Terrains. They are pretty pricey but very good all-seasons. I used them one winter now in Alberta in all sorts of snow and ice (including black ice) and they are awesome. We travelled a bit over easter weekend and I still can't get over how quiet they are on all surfaces.

·
Registered
02ML320 & 06RClass (sold)
1,632 Posts
roadsession - 3/27/2005 7:07 PM

Let me know...

Thanks
I`m here.... Very much satisfied with the Proxes S/T in terms of quiteness, smoothness, grip. Winter? not really driven/tested that much only for a short distance. But so far it seems "fair enough" compared to snow tires. My thinking is this, snow only comes during winter and not the whole winter will snow so mostly you run your tires on dry pavement and that`s when the appreciation comes in.

·
Registered
'02 ML 500
44 Posts
Roadession, I can't answer your snow question with 100% conviction because I don't drive in snow much. The Cross Terrains were decent in the mimimal snow we get here; I guess I had them in 1-3 inch stuff 2 or 3 times and they did fine. I'm about to go to the Proxes. My Cross Terrains have 60K+ on them. They're probably 4-5K from the wear bars, but the grip is getting pretty lousy and was really bad in a rain storm over the weekend. But they are decent tires - fairly quiet, average handling, never developed any "old tire" noises or anything. I'm hoping the Proxes will improve the handling.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2007 ML 350
79 Posts
I have the Proxes on my ML and drove them through winter in Indianapolis with no problems. Actually I thought they were better then the stock Dunlop SP5000's. I have about 15000 miles on them currently and I still love them. Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts