Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Given the regularity with which we see "What's a xxxSL/C Worth?" questions posted, maybe we can compile a bit of a reference thread for KNOWN sale amounts.

In the interest of clarity I'd suggest we try to keep the conversation on topic, and if you do have a sale to list, try to link to the sale if possible. If a link isn't available perhaps at a minimum a post should contain the sale price, year and model, mileage, and condition as best as can be determined.

Let's see how this goes, folks!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Here is the link to the car I bought (well traded for another car). I could have sold my 73 Dart and I would have paid that or close to it.

1988 560SL, 110K miles, really nice condition, NO rust, $12900.

Mercedes-Benz : SL-Class SL in Mercedes-Benz | eBay Motors

I don't know how much longer the link is good! (Added PDF, ITD )

Attachments

·
Registered
21,746 Posts
107 purchase #1 for me:

Model: 1973 450sl
Asking Price/reserve: $5100
Price paid: ~$4900 (car advertised as rust free, but wasn't, could have walked)
Miles: ~68,000
Area: Philadelphia, PA
Date: Early Summer 2010

Marketing: ebay

Condition: cosmetically excellent, mechanically not safe for the road / poor.

Known problems at purchase:
- reconstructed title
- neglected in a garage for years
- small rust bubbles in trunk lid and other minor rust that I easily treated.
- color change from white to black
- AC non functional
- brakes sticking for unknown reason

Benefits over more common models:
- nice paint and black
- buyer liked red interior
- buyer liked hubcaps
- buyer liked low miles 68,000
- buyer perceived only problems were the brakes and the battery

Been slowly restoring it for 2+ years now, fixing/replacing too many items to list here.

I am hoping to sell it for $8000 this summer.

Everyone who sees it in person after seeing the plethora of pictures I have posted here say it looks much better in person. I guess it is the shiny black paint that everyone likes.

Buyer assumed that there would be less than $1000 to make the car road worthy, but has spent well over $3000 and countless hundreds hours of labor on the car.

--------------------------

107 Purchase #2 for me:

Model: 1978 450slc 5.0 custom convertible
Asking Price/reserve: $12,000 reduced to $10,500
Price paid: ~$8000 (discussed on phone and price reduced due to sellers estimate to replace the custom soft top)
Miles: ~118,000
Area: North of Orlando, FL
Date: Summer 2012
Marketing: Craigslist listing posted here on Benzworld

Condition: cosmetically very good, mechanically appeared good

Known problems at purchase:
- custom convertible, but frame reinforced
- not driven more than 1000 miles in last. 10 years
- custom soft top needed replacing ($2000 expected cost)
- small cracks in dash
- buyer thought radiator support had been replaced (but it hadn't)
- needs timing chain guides and tensioner replaced due to age

Benefits and Non-Stock "improvements" in the eyes of the buyer:
- 5-seat convertible (custom convertible)
- Alloy 8x16 et11 rear and 7x16 et21.5 front wheels
- ACC1, while not desirable is functional with cold AC
- small euro bumpers
- recaro front seats

Found after purchase:
- fuel tank apparently needs cleaning
- rust in trunk and custom sheet metal
- radiator support NOT replaced
- vacuum lines all need replacement
- visors need replacement

Buyer assumed at purchase there would be $2000-$3000 in repairs expected to bring the car to excellent condition.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
134 Posts

Given the regularity with which we see "What's a xxxSL/C Worth?" questions posted, maybe we can compile a bit of a reference thread for KNOWN sale amounts.

In the interest of clarity I'd suggest we try to keep the conversation on topic, and if you do have a sale to list, try to link to the sale if possible. If a link isn't available perhaps at a minimum a post should contain the sale price, year and model, mileage, and condition as best as can be determined.

Let's see how this goes, folks!
Hi i have just bought a 1981 SLC for 5,000 AUD ingood condition for the year
has some rstin the sills and a couple of spots oin the boot lid
for insurance purposes shannons recon it worth 5,500
hope this is helpful:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Traded 95 Road King for 1985 107 silver , valued bike around $7500. New top, tires, everything including cruise works. Interior good no cracks on seats or dash. small rust bubble on rocker panels, 162,000 miles, most records, 3 previous owners. AC converted, all books and sales brochures

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Here are some sales from the Mecum Auction in Kissimmee, FL. I went today.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That is a big price spread on any of the three models, looking at the results I think that I was right on when I got mine.

To bad the don't list the mileage in the results. I would think they were all in nice to very nice condition since there isn't to much junk on Mecum that I have seen.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Learn something new everyday.

I always thought that you won't find a POS on Mecum or Barrett Jackson.

Everytime I watch the shows all the cars look really clean, might be deceiving due to their perfect stage lighting. After all, they are the real sales people.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Well it's not that they are POS cars, just not at the level of the others. That's why I like to go early in the week to look. Allot of nice drivers that might need a bit of work with a lower investment, cars in the 4-10K range. Not everybody can invest in a 70-100K toy. They also sell RV's, large trucks, signs, etc.. none of which get on TV. Also, their "live" tv is not really live. When we got back Wednesday night and watched it "Live" we saw the cars going though that was sold at around 2:00 P.M. that day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This won't help your stats but I recently acquired an '81 380SL for $10.00 my friends and neighbors across the road bought a new Audi and wanted to give me their old SL. I wouldn't hear of it and insisted on paying a tenner. it runs very well, no rust except for a small bubble on the trunk lid. The interior is pretty tired and at least needs new carpeting. It does have a double row timing chain. I've been going through it removing all the useless air conditioning equip. tuning it up. new cam oilers, etc. someone already took their hedge clippers to the climate controls and added a manual heater valve. I've yanked the ugly bumpers and have some clever body work planned. This is only my second V8 powered car, I'm more inclined toward hot little 4 bangers like the 1.6 Alfa and 2.0 BMW. Here's a '73 BMW 2002 sedan that I once turned into a roadster for my track car :

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought my 1984 380SL last november, 300,000 plus km on speedo however it has had over $20,000 in work done within the last 50,000km, engine rebuild, brakes, seats, etc etc. (I have the receipts) it was a bit neglected, owner lost interest. it does have rust issues which I am working on and enjoying the diversion. It is mechanically in good condition, I paid $2k and love it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
You stole it and are a way ahead even if you have to spend some money to get it fixed.
I did get lucky on this one, it was what I could afford at the time and didn't know what kind of expenses I would be in for, a bit scray at the time. I have replaced the plastic windows in the soft top which is in great shape otherwise, and have just bought some body work materials, bits and pieces This car is all about the fun of driving it and doing what I can, learning along the way, thanks in part to all the kind folks out there in Benzworld. Took it for a drive today, one sweet ride....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
22 Participants
RJV
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing