Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2008 e550 Sport P1 AMG Package
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone (other than me) found it easier to accelerate off the line while in Sport mode versus Comfort mode?

I've had my 550 for about 4 weeks now and always drove it in C mode. I found even when I switched it to manual mode (2nd or 3rd gear) in C mode, I would lose some control of the car. But 2 days ago, I accidentally put my car in S mode and was able to smash off with much more control.

So, what has been your experiences? One can't have almost 400 horses and not punch it whenever one can, right? :)

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
S Mode gives you a slightly higher shift point so the car will remain in the same gear for a longer period of time during acceleration. ie Instead of changing gear at the normal 2500 it will shift at 3000rpm.

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
It's my understanding that selecting "C" mode locks out first gear. The car starts out in 2nd, then lockup for each subsequent upshift is delayed slightly. That makes for a smoother transition between gears, apparently to benefit the passenger in the back seat who's drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. Selecting "S" mode simply reverts to the standard shift parameters.

The lack of positive shifts in "C" mode feels mushy to me, and returns about 2 fewer mpg for the type of driving I do. That said, starting out in 2nd reduces the potential for wheel spin. So I stay in "S" mode probably >90% of the time, shifting to "C" mode only when driving in slippery conditions.

//greg//

·
Registered
Volvo S80, E550 4Matic
239 Posts
Has anyone (other than me) found it easier to accelerate off the line while in Sport mode versus Comfort mode?

I've had my 550 for about 4 weeks now and always drove it in C mode. I found even when I switched it to manual mode (2nd or 3rd gear) in C mode, I would lose some control of the car. But 2 days ago, I accidentally put my car in S mode and was able to smash off with much more control.

So, what has been your experiences? One can't have almost 400 horses and not punch it whenever one can, right? :)
I just leave it on C as it makes the car drive more comfortably. C Mode is also especially nice when you have guests in your car as it makes for a much more comfortable experience for them as well.

Having said that after almost 2 months of owning the car, I've never had to worry about not having enough acceleration in C mode :) If I don't want someone around, they are on my rear view mirror in a couple of seconds. Unless I am mistaken, even on C mode, if the car detects kick-down acceleration, it will shift aggressively to give you best possible acceleration.

The only thing I would recommend is to be careful with the power you have in urban areas with lots of cops around. In such cases in a few seconds you can find yourself well over the speed limit so just be aware of that when you feel like having some fun. You can go from 20 something to 50 something frightfully quickly.

·
Registered
2007 e550 sport, p2, 2003 c320, 99 ML430
11 Posts
Yes. Although I generally drive in C mode. As others have said, s mode starts off in first, then delays upshifts so the 0-n is quicker. One of my brothers runs a tire dept at large retailer and calls the e550s "tire eaters" as they can go through rears quickly. (2 or 3 to 1 set of fronts)

·
Registered
2008 e550 Sport P1 AMG Package
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for helping the rookie!

I'll incorporate these things:
1. Budget in buying rear tires more frequently. Maybe once a year (or 3 times every 2 years).
2. Use C mode if I want a "refined" drive or in slippery conditions.
3. Use S mode normally. Personal preference.
4. Try using 2nd gear (vs. 3rd) when smashing off the line. :)
5. Watch for cops and kid areas. This is easy because I had to get familiar with all the cop areas/streets since my previous car was an Infiniti I30 (old school but very lightweight with 250hp).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2006 E350 Wagon
28 Posts
In the city I am almost exclusively in S mode for nice crisp take-offs when the lights turn green. If on the highway I will shift to the C mode for better fuel efficiency. While driving the canyons I shift manually...:cool:
BTW my E350 is a wagon, so I get strange looks when I punch it to get ahead of traffic!:p

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's my understanding that selecting "C" mode locks out first gear. The car starts out in 2nd, then lockup for each subsequent upshift is delayed slightly. That makes for a smoother transition between gears, apparently to benefit the passenger in the back seat who's drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. Selecting "S" mode simply reverts to the standard shift parameters.

The lack of positive shifts in "C" mode feels mushy to me, and returns about 2 fewer mpg for the type of driving I do. That said, starting out in 2nd reduces the potential for wheel spin. So I stay in "S" mode probably >90% of the time, shifting to "C" mode only when driving in slippery conditions.

//greg//
Transmission will go down to 1st gear in C mode if you apply more than 50% of throttle from a stand. This is actually documented somewhere and very true...i tested it a few times and found it very annoying because car kinda starts going in second and then downshifts very hard and then to second again...very disturbing and time consuming.

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
Well, excuse me. Correct my last to read
It's my understanding that - under normal acceleration - selecting "C" mode locks out first gear.

//greg//

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
I prefer c mode, it is faster enough anyway and a bit smoother.
Let's not get all yes it is/no it isn't here... different drivers "teach" the tranny to behave in different ways. I find "C" tries to shift into 7 as soon as it can, which means that almost any throttle action results in a downshift. This is especially annoying at motorway/autobahn cruise.

The other thing nobody's mentioned is that 7Gtronic reads the speed at which you move the throttle, not just the position. sudden moves - even in the midrange of the throttle travel - affect the shift point and will make the tranny drop one or more gears, bop the revs up, and get you ready to party. Gentle moves make for gentle sequential shifts.

BMWs are much more obvious and upfront about this behaviour - after an overtake, they will sit in a low gear for a while until you "de-tickle" the throttle. In either case you have to learn how to get the best out of your car, without getting too crazy about how it ought to work or what you want it to do...

·
Registered
Mercedes E320 2004
20 Posts
When I move my w211 in Comfort mode (from 2nd gear), I fill that tranny upshifts to another gear and then to 3rd gear.
Is there a gear between 2nd and 3rd gears?
Anyone can confirm this?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,802 Posts
No gear between the two. You may be feeling the torque converter locking and unlocking.

·
Purple Moderator
21,802 Posts
It should be smooth. You would only notice the revs change slightly down for lock and up for unlock.
Whether it is a sign of a problem has been a long debate on the 722.6 5 speed.
On the 7 speeds I have not heard much about the torque converter lockup issues, but I know far less
about the the 7 speed than the 5 speed.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
It should be smooth. You would only notice the revs change slightly down for lock and up for unlock.
On the 7 speeds I have not heard much about the torque converter lockup issues, but I know far less
There have been some problems with the torque converters on the 7 speed but a very few, at least in this part of the world and we have one hell of a lot of cars with the 7 here.

·
Registered
Mercedes E320 2004
20 Posts
You're right, I can notice the revs changes between 2nd and 3rd gears.
When I use in Standard mode I can't feel that.
Do you think it's normal?

·
Purple Moderator
21,802 Posts
If it is smooth it is not abnormal on the 5 speed. Just a small incline on the road and the converter will unlock.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts