Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<br>
<br>
I am in the process of purchasing a new car. The top 3 on my list are the C coupe, A4, or 3 series. <br>
<br>
Some questions about the C 230...<br>
- How does it perform in the winter? I am from the midwest and have had front wheel drive cars up until now. I am opting for the 6 speed. The A4 and 3 series have the 'winter preference' as they have all wheel drive option. <br>
<br>
- How much below or above sticker have you been paying? Is the COMAND system worth the 2 grand or whatever it is??<br>
<br>
- What about aftermarket upgrades?? I heard something that for under a grand you can boost the HP to over 240? Is that accurate, if so, what chips are out there?<br>
<br>
- If you would do it all over, would you buy it again?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
Brian<br>
[email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Brian,<br> <br> You will need snow tires for winter driving, especially if you get a car with the C7 wheel package. The super high performance 17' tires with C7 are dangerous on snow and ice. Get four 16' snow tires such as Blzzaks or Arctic Alpins and you will be fine. By the way, the C7 package is the best value package you can get. If you are getting a six speed, an undocumented feature of the C7 is a short throw shifter.<br> <br> Prices for C230's are highly variable base on the market you are shopping in. MSRP is the rule in areas where competition btween dealers is limited. In Los Angeles, it might be possible to get a car from stock near invoice price.<br> <br> In my opinion, COMAND is very overpriced for and obsolete CD-ROM based system. But, other owners love it. There are rumors of a new DVD based system becoming available in the next year or so. All North American cars are pre-wired, so a retrofit should not be difficult. If I really needed a nav system, I would go with the dash top system from Garmin. For more money, I would get an in dash Alpine, although Blaupunkt has some interesting looking nav systems.<br> <br> You are not going to get 240 hp for under a grand. A Kleeman ring pulley kit would be $600 plus $150 or so for installation. That will bring you to about 230 hp. An Upsolute chip is $500 plus installation, usually about $75, but sometimes waived. There are other pulley kits and chips, but these are the most affordable.<br> <br> There are many threads of mods at http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3<br> <br> http://www.kleemannusa.com/<br> <br> http://www.upsolute.com/eng/index.html

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No question that the AWD versions of the A4 and BMW will be far better in ice and snow. I love my C230 coupe, but I'll be driving my ML on bad days.<br> <br> PS. love your music

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: C Coupe questions... (Comand system and pulley kit)

If I don't get the CD based one now, I can easily upgrade to the DVD one when it comes out?<br> <br> What exactly does the pulley kit do? Does it just make the Supercharger spin up faster? Is that the best mod for the money? How much more acceleration do you get out of it? <br> <br> Thanks Brian A.<br> [email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chuck<br> <br> What options and or mods have you got on your coupe? <br> <br> Brian<br> <br> PS - I myself am not a big fan of the music... :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: C Coupe questions... (Comand system and pulley kit)

There has been a lot of discussion over at mbworld.org about retrofitting COMAND. I think at least one person has done so. It opinion of the knowledgeble is that it is not very difficult one North American cars. Euro cars have to be practically dismantled to install the wiring that is included in all North American cars.<br> <br> The pulley kit does increase the speed of the supercharger. Boost pressure is increased from about 0.55 bar to about 0.8 bar. Dyno charts posted at mbworld.org show a nice large increase in torque over a large rev range. The Upsolute chip dyno charts seem to show little increase in torque or horsepower at lower rpm's, but a good increase higher in the rev band. However, those who have had both done report they are very happy. I had hoped to have these mods done next month, but after doing my taxes those plans are postponed indefinitely.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just had it for a few weeks. Its a lot of fun to drive. We were looking at the Passat AWD, the Camry, and new Jag X Type. It has the glass roof which is great. I just got the dealer to install a CD changer last week. Not planning any mods.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Performance mods

There are three performance mods that are available from different companies. A larger crankshaft pulley to increase supercharger boost, a larger intercooler and a chip. If you do all three you can probably get 250-260HP. The pulley is the cheapest way to go. I'm working with a large pulley company to test a new alloy crankshaft pulley for under $300. That will get you to about 225 to 230hp. I have not seen a dyno with a pulley/chip combination so I don't know the results of that but an additional 10-20hp is possible. The chips seem to run about $500-600. The only intercooler available is from Vaeth and it's expensive at a few grand. Jaems Wei on the SLK forum is experimenting with a locally made intercooler that's under $400. That would be good for another 15-20hp. It's a slow moving movement in comparison to Honda Civics but momentum is building. Some other minor mods you can do is a 3.67 rear gear set from MB, an exhaust may get you and additional 2-5hp and a custom air intake may also get you an additional 2-3hp.<br> <br> The Audio A4 turbo is easier to modify boost with just a chip so it's a better tuning bargain from that sense. Also the Audio comes with an indash CD player which is nice. You can get one for the C-Coupe from Germany but it's a hassle.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had my C230k about a month. <br>
Went back to the dealer about a week ago to puchase the 'Comand' and was told if not installed buy MB Factory it can not be installed after tha fact. Also was told that only the M class is pre-wired.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are in North America, the coupe is pre-wired, and the COMAND retro-fit is fairly simple. If you are elsewhere, the car is not pre-wired and the retro-fit is very difficult.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in PA, USA<br> Checked with MB factory and they again told me 'no' can not install Comand and said the coupe is not pre-wired and no other class other than the M is pre-wired

1 - 11 of 11 Posts