Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about all the hoopla about the 17 inch wheel option, so I did some research and calculations so satisfy my curiosity.<br><br>
<br><br>
For the majority of drivers, the desire for 17 inch wheels over 16 inch wheels, often times sight unseen, appears to be driven primarily by wishful thinking rather than fact. If you like the styling of the 17 inch wheels better than the stock 16 inch wheels, get them. Yyour choice should be justified only by personal preference unless you are a high-speed performance driver or plan on using your C230K in several of the driving events/schools available.<br><br>
<br><br>
The lower aspect ratio provided by the high perfromance tires does provide better lateral stability, most noticable at high speeds. But the stock tires are still considered by many to be low aspect ratio tires relative to the majority of tires sold. Is the change from 55% to 45% aspect ratio really perceptable under any but extreme driving conditions? In my opinion, any benefit received under normal driving conditions from the lower aspect ratio would be canceled by the 5% to 10% higher weight of the larger wheels.<br><br>
<br><br>
Some have hoped that the 17 inch wheels would lower the car by as much as 1.5 inches. If you do the math, the difference in radius of the 17 inch tire and the 16 inch tire is 0.05 inch. So, unless you make some other modification to the suspension, the 17 inch wheels will offer only an imperceptable lowering of the car.<br><br>
<br><br>
Some might perceive that the car looks lower with the 17 inch wheels. That could be because the alloy wheel accupies more visual area relative to the rubber with the larger wheel. However, the visual area occupied by the alloy metal in relation to the total area occupied by the wheel/tire only increases by 5% with the larger wheel.<br><br>
<br><br>
Again, my purpose was to determine for myself the difference between fact and perception in deciding between the two wheel options. I think that both wheels look fine. I now know that my decision should be based purely on my perception of the looks and not be clouded by, for me, unrealizable performance differences. But then again, perception is reality, right?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 17" comes with Sportchassis and lowering!

Hi!<br> Just wanted to say that when you order the wheelpackage or as it is called in Europe 'Evolution' there is 17' wheels, Sportchassis (stiffer than standard model)-(Not much lowering though, 0,7' in front and 0,2' at back), and a lot of other stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts