Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if mercedes would come out with the c-class hatchback, but in a high performance version.......i was also wondering if the hatchback would come in both the 240 and 320??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: c-class - probably not initially speculative later on

: i was wondering if mercedes would come out with the c-class hatchback, but in a high performance version.......i was also wondering if the hatchback would come in both the 240 and 320??<p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C-class compact...

I read awhile back that the C-class compact was supposed to be priced close to $20K. If that's true, then expect it to have a 4-cylinder engine. Also, a 4-cylinder might be a good choice to keep the cheaper and lighter hatchback from outperforming the heavier and more expensive C320.<p>On the other hand, I've also read that M-B is going to market the compact as a C-class coupe instead of a hatchback. The coupe designation does pave the way for higher performance models, but don't get your hopes up for a C32 AMG compact.<p>Either way, I agree with Ashoek, the compact will probably appear first as a value-priced low performance version (either the 200 Kompressor or a 240). Then, in the 2nd year or later, it may come as a 230 Kompressor, 280, or 320.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: C-class compact...

Well, relatively-econo-hatchbacks seem to be VERY out of fashion in the states. (Remember the short-lived BMW 318ti?) OTOH, BMW sells a BUNCH of 3 series coupes. I'd bet that the coupe would make it to the US a whole lot sooner that the compact hatchback, based on this evidence.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any ideas when?

I will be looking for a compact in the next few months, and I would absolutely LOVE to get into an MB!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BMW 318ti Compact

I'm not sure what you mean. The C-class coupe, C-class hatchback, and C-class compact are three terms for the exact same car. The only difference is how they want to market it.<p>M-B doesn't plan to make a coupe (i.e. two-door) version of the regular C-class, because M-B already sells a C-class coupe in the U.S. It's called the CLK.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: BMW 318ti Compact

Mercedes indeed has (will have) a hatchback that is not the same as the CLK. It is a variant of the W203 and should appear in the US eventually. It will be much smaller than the CLK and more in scale of the BMW ti. Check out the link... <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: BMW 318ti Compact

I thought there had been some discussion of doing a less-varied (i.e., less upscale and sharing the front end bodywork and so on as opposed to the CLK which shares the chassis but not much else) 2-door variant of the 4-dr C class that was still a coupe (similar to the current 3 series 2 door) in addition to the CLK (upscale specialty) and the compact (ala. 318ti hatchback.)<p>But having just gone and reread the MB Enthusiasts Page, I'm not sure where I got this from. Confusion from advancing age, maybe?<p>I guess I'd think that the C-class compact hatchback as described there would probably not make a lot of headway in the present US market. It's a hatchback, and sounds much shorter (hence no trunk and less backseat room--but is is just shorter behind the rear wheels or how much shorter is wheelbase?) than the 4-door (compared to the 2- and 4-door 3 series). But what will MB sell in opposition to the 3-series 2-doors?<br>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts