Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2014 C300 Sport W204 | 2007 SLK280 R171
Discussion Starter #1
Hello MB owners! I'm new to this forum but have been active on the sister forum of SLKWorld, so not a total noob :wink.

I recently acquired my 2014 C300 and am wanting to fit it with a remote start. The car I got rid of had it and I already miss having it! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the SmartKey Starter (Smart Key Starter庐 For Mercedes-Benz) and if it was worth it or if it caused issues with the car.

Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold馃槩 2013 ML500,馃榿 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
It looks great. I installed keyless go on my Ml. I walk away from my wife's C200 constantly without locking it because it doesn't have it, so I understand what your saying. I wouldn't like to attempt installing that on a later model Benz myself. They are to intelligent on the key start side of things these days but it would be good. If you can get it fully installed reasonably go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Matt, thank you for your reply but I think you are thinking I want something other than I do, I'm just looking at the remote start module, rather than the keyless start. I've read that the keyless go isn't worth the expense :).

W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
I have installed three Mid City Engineering Smart Key Starters, and in my opinion they are worth their weight in gold. Super easy to install, and they work fantastically well. The newest generation will even turn your seat heaters and defrost on if the temp is below a user definable threshold. I have ours paired with the Directed Smart Start interface, which gives you smart phone control globally. It makes you your own Mbrace.

The only downside? Price. If you are budget conscious, watch eBay as they pop up all the time for less than half the price of new. That's where I bought all three of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I have installed three Mid City Engineering Smart Key Starters, and in my opinion they are worth their weight in gold.

I've read a lot of great things about the Mid City starter but holy crap they are expensive. $2,900! When I compare that to the vehicles where I spend maybe $400-$500 for a complete unit and installation that's a killer. Even half of that is a lot of scratch for remote starting.

W163 Crash Test Driver
I've read a lot of great things about the Mid City starter but holy crap they are expensive. $2,900! When I compare that to the vehicles where I spend maybe $400-$500 for a complete unit and installation that's a killer. Even half of that is a lot of scratch for remote starting.
Huh?! I have no idea where you are getting that crazy price, unless it's from some insanely overpriced stereo shop.

The C-Class starter is $599 for your 08-14 C-Class and $499 for an older 03-07 C-Class, straight from the Mid City Engineering. I have seen both go for $250-$300 used on eBay.

https://www.midcityengineering.com/product/smartkey-starter-sksng204d3/

It literally takes 15 minutes to install with simple tools. It's plug-n-play.

EDIT: OHHHH. I see it now. You were looking at the wrong thing. That crazy price is for their brand new "OEM Keyless Go Retrofit" system. It's a way to add true, Mercedes Keyless Go (not aftermarket) and remote start to a car that never had it before. Most of the cost is for the proper Mercedes OEM Keyless Go modules. Too rich for my blood as well. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Huh?! I have no idea where you are getting that crazy price, unless it's from some insanely overpriced stereo shop.

The C-Class starter is $599 for the 08-14 C-Class and $499 for an 03-07 C-Class, straight from the manufacture ($100 more if you have keyless-go). I have seen both go for $250-$300 used on eBay.

https://www.midcityengineering.com/product/smartkey-starter-sksng204d3/

It literally takes 15 minutes to install with simple tools. It's plug-n-play.
Oh wow, game thusly changed! I pulled up a website the other day looking at those and it was the Mid City site that stated that price. Maybe I had the wrong model or something. Thank you very much for that link, I'm going to order that one I believe for that price.

W163 Crash Test Driver
Yeah I totally understand your sticker shock! :D

I attached the install instructions below. It's just a simple T-Harness. Once you get in there, you just unplug the connectors from behind the key switch, plug them into the harness, then plug the harness back into the key switch. Super simple.

Attachments

Registered
2013 GL450 2013 C300
Yeah I totally understand your sticker shock! :D

I attached the install instructions below. It's just a simple T-Harness. Once you get in there, you just unplug the connectors from behind the key switch, plug them into the harness, then plug the harness back into the key switch. Super simple.

For the starter, are there any other items needed? Antenna and such? and how much does it cost for the Directed Smart Remot?

W163 Crash Test Driver

Registered
I have installed three Mid City Engineering Smart Key Starters, and in my opinion they are worth their weight in gold. Super easy to install, and they work fantastically well. The newest generation will even turn your seat heaters and defrost on if the temp is below a user definable threshold. I have ours paired with the Directed Smart Start interface, which gives you smart phone control globally. It makes you your own Mbrace.

The only downside? Price. If you are budget conscious, watch eBay as they pop up all the time for less than half the price of new. That's where I bought all three of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just curious, I called a local installer on that Mid City Engineering Smart Key Starter and he wanted $600 to install and stated, everyone thinks it's easy.. It's NOT... Thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts