Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 C-Class Special Edition 220 CDI (OM651)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just got my new car 48 hours ago, feeling chuffed right now. I purchased the C 220 CDI Special Edition, My build is the october 2009 which included the new generation diesel twinturbo om651 169 hp engine.

now as far as I understand the C 200-220-250 CDI models all use the same engine make the om651, but they all have varied tune specs, for example C 220 cdi with 169 HP and the C 250 cdi with 204 HP.

After much DD on the Net, I find I can upgrade the power outut by installing those performance box, Ie Brabus power xtra tune kits. but from what I'm reading they do nothing more than lower the voltage on the common rail sensor to increase the rail pressure by doing this trick.

I was looking for something more like a FULL Factory ECU upgrade, full engine remap on the ECU to change the C CDI 220 engine behaviour to the same as the C 250 CDI seeing there the same engine. I guess I'm looking for a factory based ECU upgrade and change my engine ECU to the C 250 version and making power gains in that direction a factory spec as opposed to a simple common rail pressure increase, which is likley to do more harm than good.

Any Ideas :)

Thanks for reading

Jorgka

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Just got my new car 48 hours ago, feeling chuffed right now. I purchased the C 220 CDI Special Edition, My build is the october 2009 which included the new generation diesel twinturbo om651 169 hp engine.

now as far as I understand the C 200-220-250 CDI models all use the same engine make the om651, but they all have varied tune specs, for example C 220 cdi with 169 HP and the C 250 cdi with 204 HP.

After much DD on the Net, I find I can upgrade the power outut by installing those performance box, Ie Brabus power xtra tune kits. but from what I'm reading they do nothing more than lower the voltage on the common rail sensor to increase the rail pressure by doing this trick.

I was looking for something more like a FULL Factory ECU upgrade, full engine remap on the ECU to change the C CDI 220 engine behaviour to the same as the C 250 CDI seeing there the same engine. I guess I'm looking for a factory based ECU upgrade and change my engine ECU to the C 250 version and making power gains in that direction a factory spec as opposed to a simple common rail pressure increase, which is likley to do more harm than good.

Any Ideas :)

Thanks for reading

Jorgka
Hi Mate,

Thats the Blue Efficiency engine? If so there is a company that do boxes which go to turbo pressure sensor and crancshaft sensor as well as common rail on those engines with very good results. I have a friend who has had one on his C250 CDI and he is over the moon with it.

Took this off there website so you can see how easy they are to fit.
http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/pdfs/mercedes_3089_LRN3_e.pdf

Hope this helps you in some way.

auds2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Auds2,

yeah thats right the Blue Efficiency engine is the om651 for all C200, C220, C250 Blue Efficiency ONLY models with varied factory tune specs. That was pretty detailed that tuning pdf Thanks. However it's still a tuning box and with that I would retune the om651 engine from 170 ps to 204 ps just like the C250. however still not quite what I want. I more interested in actual ECU remapping the C220 to the same spec as the C250. so in reality I'm increasing performance at a factory level to increase the HP first to the C250 spec, then after perhaps use a tuning box after to make even more gains. The gearbox on the C220 CDI BE is the same as the C250 CDI BE and gear ratios etc are the same, so first I'm looking for factory tuning spec based on the C250 installed on the C220. maybe I can't as the bios / flash ECU appears hybrid with part non programable & part progamable, from what I have read it seems I would need to replace the whole ECU computer to the C250 version. but again not 100% sure. I would also say, E class Blue Efficiency models also use the om651 engine for the 4 cyc variants as well.

so could be expensive, if your reading this. then perhaps just pay the extra $$$ if your thinking of the C220 CDI BE and get the C250 instead. C220 is good but annoying knowing your running a detuned engine :( DOH !!!!

·
Registered
223.168 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,445 Posts
Don't consider anything else than ECU software update (I mean as opposed to options that are based on fooling sensor readings etc.). This is the way you can be sure there will not be any (extremely) critical operating point. I'm not a fan of these and don't know if the 651 ECU SW has been cracked to allow the software being modified. Note that installing a 250CDI ECU does not work, you would equally have to break the SW protection (otherwise MB would not sell a single 250 CDI car but 220CDI models and 250 CDI ECUs only).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes there would be MB security to contend with. what that is I have no idea and just a noob to this sort of stuff. also information about the delphi injectors / systems and just the om651 engine management details in general seem somewhat non existent on the interent. but I guess considering this is quite a new engine and still in the first year of it's cycle i'd assume there is not much out there to choose from in regards to tuning etc. plus new engine comes new software / electronics / new processor etc. I guess maybe in 6 months the situation with these diesel engines will be more familar to exploit any untapped potential in a safer manner than now with the existing tuning boxes etc. (Although the Brabus tuning boxes kit does offer some sort of warrenty)

also what I have found out, is that there are a butt load of issues with the delphi injectors failing since mass production of this engine, there seems to many people with failed injectors ranging from brand new less than 1000kms - 600 mph to 20000 kms - 12000 mph. its seem MB has sorted these issues out with the Mark 4 delphi (I think) version of Injector & Installed since October 2009 models rolling out of the factory. that is a concern as mine is Oct build. I just hope I'm running Gen 4 injectors. what and see and might review tuning my car later after I have broken in my engine first :)

note the information I sayed above is only my opinion above and may not be correct, it's just based on what I have read on other forums about this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
C220CDi injector issues

yes there would be MB security to contend with. what that is I have no idea and just a noob to this sort of stuff. also information about the delphi injectors / systems and just the om651 engine management details in general seem somewhat non existent on the interent. but I guess considering this is quite a new engine and still in the first year of it's cycle i'd assume there is not much out there to choose from in regards to tuning etc. plus new engine comes new software / electronics / new processor etc. I guess maybe in 6 months the situation with these diesel engines will be more familar to exploit any untapped potential in a safer manner than now with the existing tuning boxes etc. (Although the Brabus tuning boxes kit does offer some sort of warrenty)

also what I have found out, is that there are a butt load of issues with the delphi injectors failing since mass production of this engine, there seems to many people with failed injectors ranging from brand new less than 1000kms - 600 mph to 20000 kms - 12000 mph. its seem MB has sorted these issues out with the Mark 4 delphi (I think) version of Injector & Installed since October 2009 models rolling out of the factory. that is a concern as mine is Oct build. I just hope I'm running Gen 4 injectors. what and see and might review tuning my car later after I have broken in my engine first :)

note the information I sayed above is only my opinion above and may not be correct, it's just based on what I have read on other forums about this problem.

My 2011 C220CDI (not BE) bought in March 2011, just presented the same problem, after 15000 km, so it appears as if the injector issues have not been resolved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.