Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 W140 S280
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gday gents,

I was poking around the engine bay this weekend (M104) looking for the infamous T fitting that connects the heater core. Didn't manage to find it although I did spot 2 other hoses that seem to have been cut or otherwise not in use.

The first one shows an open pipe at the left rear corner of the engine bay (pax side, RHD).

Second one shows another open pipe center rear between firewall and oil filter.

I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right place. There was a big plastic shelf-like cover which obstructed the rear right of the engine bay, and I'm not even sure if the part still exists or has been removed by the previous owner.

Having read (I think) all the threads regarding this coolant fitting suffice to say I'm concerned enough to replace it as soon as possible (if it's still in there), especially on a 370,000km car. However, as the heating on this car is virtually never going to be used in the local climate, would it also be a viable option to just bypass the heater altogether? I'm quite happy to seal the outlets and leave it as-is.

Anyone else done this before?

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
49 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right place
You are. But, I notice that your location is Malaysia. I am almost sure that your car is LHD. If it were RHD, as in Japan and Australia, it will be certain that the TT-fitting is factory deleted, but in your case - ?
Given the hot climate, it is possible that MB eliminated the fitting for your market, but I am not sure this is the case.

·
Registered
1995 W140 S280
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are. But, I notice that your location is Malaysia. I am almost sure that your car is LHD. If it were RHD, as in Japan and Australia, it will be certain that the TT-fitting is factory deleted, but in your case - ?
Given the hot climate, it is possible that MB eliminated the fitting for your market, but I am not sure this is the case.
It is RHD, we drive on the same side as Japan and Australia.
Are there any other sources I can use to confirm the presence or lack of a TT part?
I've asked an MB tech cousin but he's not trained in models as old as these.

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
49 Posts
Are there any other sources I can use to confirm the presence or lack of a TT part?
If RHD car, then with certainty -- no TT from the factory. There are several JPN- and AUS-members who can confirm.
I am not sure if this design-related or climate-related

I am sorry I had put you previously in the group of countries, where we drive on the right (no pun intended) side of the road. My neighbor was born and raised in the Philippines and told me they use LHD cars there, and Malaysia being neighboring country, I wrongly assumed is the same.

·
Registered
1995 W140 S280
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's aight. Well that's one less thing to worry about I guess, thanks TimeCapsule have a good one. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts