Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
ALMOST SQUARE NATO BATTERIES X 2

Initial research into batteries that fit properly into the FM2 battery box show a few brands: Johnson Controls/ Varta is an almost impenetrable website/ company. No links to retailers on either of their websites. Spoke to a factory here in Ontario....they told me to call the US. Canadian Johnson control website links to VARTA Europe which has no connection to NA. Useless...and they want to sell batteries?
The distributor that carries Odyssey got back to me right away, they have the exact format 'NATO' size. It is an almost square 286mm x 269mm 86 lb. battery. A $479.00 CDN. plus tax x (2) monster. Not cheap but looks like a helluva battery. Designation PC2250. Anyone here with experience on these? Read a few threads here on comparisons when used as starter batteries. This PC2250 is what they call a combo..deep cycle and starting ability.
See bottom of chart:
http://royalbatterysales.com/files/4513/4487/4363/Odyssy_Battery_Specifications.pdf

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
thats allot of money for two batteries that may just sit around. group 24 deep cycles fit but quite a bit of space is wasted. i choose to make a custom battery box using the hardware that came with one of the nato units with two group 27 from wallmart for $110 each. better specs, much cheaper and take less room.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yes,
Point taken Tmax. It looks like the comparison thread ended up with a thumbs down on Odyssey warranty tactics. Further research required.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I run 2, "HAWKER ARMASAFE PLUS" batteries in the BW battery box on my ambulance and 2 of the same inside for the electrical and firing the diesel webasto big boy heater. These military batteries are true AGM batteries and store forever with minimal draw down. They are 130 Amp hour batteries with over 1220 CCA. Company claims they wil cycle over 300 times. List price is $525 each. I have 2 NIB for sale at $400 each plus shipping. These are awesome batteries, especially if you have a rig that sits around, or has a massive electrical requirement, such as winch, ham radio/amp, military radios etc.--Heavy buggers--88 lbs each, military 6TML size/dimensions.
Shamless plug
TL

Hawker Battery | EnerSys - Why Armasafe?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Odyssey PC2250 batteries are the civilian version of the Hawker Armasafe. I was thinking of getting a pair a couple of years ago, but became leery of possible charging problems/life expectancy. My 1300L had Sonnenschein A512 military (6T) batteries in it when I got it and one showed by installation date that it was 15 years old when the other one died. The Sonnenschein are a dryfit sealed gel battery and can be shipped by any method, because of this.
Sonnenschein Gel Cell Batteries
I got a replacement price of $425 per battery (plus shipping) from Polar Battery in Vancouver, B.C., on the Sonnenscheins a couple of years back. A dryfit gel battery that will last 15 or more years, must be about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thanks tlane and burgy, I had a feeling the Armasafe was similar to the Odyssey after looking at the literature. The plot thickens.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The Hawker Armasafe is what the US Military has used now for a number of years. Has worked very well. They also use a 24 volt solar powered battery tender with each vehicle to maintain them at optimum voltage so the truck is always-- battle ready. They are a good batt and never -- leak or make a mess in battery box or on the terminals.
I got 2- dead ones for free from a local guard unit and I revived them following the directions on Hawkers web site, using a NOCO Genius 7.2 amp charger/smart unit. Now they are fully operational as - new ones. That speaks volumes for the quality of their true AGM design.
TLane

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
LEAD Pb... get out your tin foil hat

Speaking of lead...I was wondering if the BW boxes contained any Shielding either from RF or any other wavelengths? I thought I saw something like that in the specs. Would it be sheet lead? Like an x-ray room? Or leaded foam (which I have only seen used for acoustics) or would it be part of the alu/foam sandwhich? Faraday cage?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Rostige
I installed an MX-6707 tuner antenna in the wall of my Binz box.
I had to use a 3" hole saw so I got to see the insulation material. It appears to be as you say a foam sandwich material with tin foil on both sides. I did not c anything that looked like it could be lead based. The outer sheet metal, then the sandwich material, then the interior wall/particle board stuff is all that is there.
Was very easy to cut through for the antenna sugar scoop mount. I sealed it back up with Rustoleum spray on rubber like substance that dries up pretty firm and seals well. This for my PRC-1077 military radio for emergency while in the desert. Can monitor, BLM, Hi-Way Patrol,
Fire rescue, EMT, as well as all military channels in the 36-89 MHz frequencies
FM. I can talk to them also if needed.
TLane

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thanks Tlane. It will require a bit more research before I cut into this baby...probably a skylight or window. Looks like I got the wrong antennae mounts so back to German ebay. I think I have it figured for the ones I need. The many hatches on the rear and front provide a lot of opportunity for pass through activities such as cables, generator, air conditioner, etc. There was a thought a few years ago to challenge a ham license. And then I thought, wouldn't it be cool to restore some of the radio gear in the radio box? No,...that's a crazy idea...SEM-25 transceiver, many cables with funny plugs.....no, too crazy.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
BW SHELTER FOLLOW UP

Old thread with more info...Half of what was planned was executed...not bad. FM2/ACE II box shown installed on Tatra. Room at the front for spare tire and all 4 jack stands. Roof at the back for antenna mast, propane tank and sundry dunnage. Supplied stairs work perfectly with Tatra tailgate. Handrail from stairs transitions to handrail on door.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Stainless shower enclosure seen beside doorway with integral 22 US gallon grey water tank. Natures head separating/composting toilet within the 24x32 inch shower footprint. Shower/toilet seen under construction. Water tanks to be installed that will sit under existing original desks. 2 x 60 US gallons each= 120 total fresh water capacity. All appliances are attached using the existing track hold down system.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
There must be a giff out there of Homer Simpson saying ''Tatra..MMMMMM""
Have you thought of securing the tailgate in the horizontal position to give yourself a small deck???
G Vavra

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Small? I have friends in Manhattan with less who paid a lot more.

Could you chain secure all three sides to the box and have a full on patio?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
There must be a giff out there of Homer Simpson saying ''Tatra..MMMMMM""
Have you thought of securing the tailgate in the horizontal position to give yourself a small deck???
G Vavra
D'oh! I must say I did not think of that... but that is a cool idea for anything more than a single night stay. Maybe skin the corrugated surface with some nice wood or alu. Since it's already fastened on the one edge and has spring steel to assist in lowering and lifting the panel only the sides need fastening or supporting. I think the original equipment may have had some kind of rods on each side. To fasten it now requires all my body weight to get the allen bolt started to hold it at a 45 degree angle. So 4 different techniques to support at 90 degrees come to mind:
Underneath support with rigid poles, side solid rod stock to corners (could be stainless), chain to corners (could also be stainless)mmmmm stainless, swaged stainless cables with turnbuckles to corners (either bronze or stainless a la sailboat rigging)
Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Small? I have friends in Manhattan with less who paid a lot more.

Could you chain secure all three sides to the box and have a full on patio?
Aha I figured what you meant by secure! (a lifeline so people don't fall off!) drunk, infirm etc. yes! good idea too!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Geroh antenna mounting

Horse is not dead: with proper mounts the antenna mast can be rotated...which I needed to do to have the crank handle clear the platform section when folded up. The BW box has the threaded holes (2 high 2 low) that worked perfectly. The lower mount also helped me contrive an LP bottle mount.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 122 Posts
About this Discussion
121 Replies
22 Participants
BloodyGerman
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing