Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1979 280 SLC, 1987 560SEC, 1995 E280T
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear enthusiasts, I am posting this here in the hope someone recognizes the noise and can help me solve the problem: my 280SLC has a buzzing noise (like a mosquito) that appears to come from behind the instrument pod. From what I've been able to detect, it reacts to the car accelerating (the noise subdues) and turning tight corners (noise frequency increases, although I'm not sure it's because of the steering or the suspension).
Does this sound familiar to someone? I thought perhaps a leak in the vacuum system?
Thanks for your suggestions, Tempur

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,904 Posts
Does it sound different than the key in ignition buzzer?

·
Registered
1979 280 SLC, 1987 560SEC, 1995 E280T
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it sound different than the key in ignition buzzer?
My car's from '79. I don't think it has a key in ignition buzzer (it does have an alarm when you leave the lights on but this sounds very different).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmmm I think I had a noise like this from the watch. This circuit kept draining the battery and its disconnected at the moment. Dunno if it helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,868 Posts
Vacuum leak would be hissing, you know, like MIL does. ;-)

Sometimes noise from speakers can be deceiving. Alternator can make your radio noise...

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,298 Posts
When I heard such a sound, it was the aux water pump humming behind the glove box. The bearings were going, apparently. As I didn't need heat, I unplugged it. Problem solved!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts