Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am deciding on buying a 04 e500 with 120k km or a 06 e350 97k km. what are some things i should look for and maintnance that i should so to have a peace of mind? thank you.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
If it is the 350 be careful about the engine. That year hold a percentage of them that had soft balance
shaft sprockets. They failed and leave the owner with a multi-thousand dollar repair.
The engine serial number needs to be checked.

If good service records are not available for any car this complex then find one with records. If they
were neglected you will spend untold sums of money fixing neglected items.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is the 350 be careful about the engine. That year hold a percentage of them that had soft balance
shaft sprockets. They failed and leave the owner with a multi-thousand dollar repair.
The engine serial number needs to be checked.

If good service records are not available for any car this complex then find one with records. If they
were neglected you will spend untold sums of money fixing neglected items.
os there any sound i should hear if they are getting close to failing? what is the average milage they fail at?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
They will make noise as the chain gets sloppy and hits the guides and rattles around the tensioner.
Early signs can be repeated cam position sensor fault codes.
Failure usually occurred within 100,000-110,000 km. However many failed after that point.
That is why it is critical to get the engine serial number checked out. It will either be one that could fail,
one that does not have soft sprockets or one that has been repaired and should not have the problem
occur again.
Lots of in info in the following link.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1591732-how-interpret-balance-shaft-sprocket-engine.html

·
Registered
w211 e500
117 Posts
i am deciding on buying a 04 e500 with 120k km or a 06 e350 97k km. what are some things i should look for and maintnance that i should so to have a peace of mind? thank you.
There is a pretty large difference in MPG for the 350 vs the 500. If mpg or gas price is a concern, then I would consider the 350. My sources at Atlantic Richfield say gas will be $7 or $8 a gallon by December of this year. I would also consider the blue tech diesel, again, if gas is a concern.

Also, consider the options: keyless go, front/rear parking sensors, 3 way adjustable airmatic suspension, heat/cool seats, massage seats, sport package, HIDs, etc...

Finally, no matter what, even if it's a CPL vehicle, always get it checkouts out for a Pre Purchase Inspection, by an independent mercedes mechanic. This $100 dollar move can save you $1000's. Do not fall for the "our techs already checked everything" from the place you buy from. Always opt for a separate ppi, by someone who is very familiar with these types of vehicles.

There should be a list of recommended indy shops for your area, here in the forums too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i am not worried at all about fuel economy. i am only frustrated in musterious and expensive things that could happen. i am buying the car in vancouver, british columbia, canada.

yes i have never ever trusted these inspections that dealers apparently do and certify a vehicle. i mean, why should the dealer put another 1000 buxks into a problem found at their own onspection if they can save it and still sell it. i have been around these liars and dont trust them. best way to do is get a mechanic you know and get in inspected. not some buddy of the dealer lol

should i do tranny flush too when i get time for it? should i use mercedes tranny oil or can i use these synthetic tranny oils they sell?? are the suspensions air or hydraulic these years?

thanks for the input so far :)

·
Registered
2005 E 320
19 Posts
in what country will fuel be 8 dollars a gallon? if you say America I am thinking the world will surely end in late december like the Mayans think.

·
Registered
2012 E350 4Matic Wagon P2 Lane Tracking Driver Assit. Heated/Ventilated/Multicontour*/Leather seats
262 Posts
yes i am not worried at all about fuel economy. i am only frustrated in musterious and expensive things that could happen. i am buying the car in vancouver, british columbia, canada.

yes i have never ever trusted these inspections that dealers apparently do and certify a vehicle. i mean, why should the dealer put another 1000 buxks into a problem found at their own onspection if they can save it and still sell it. i have been around these liars and dont trust them. best way to do is get a mechanic you know and get in inspected. not some buddy of the dealer lol

should i do tranny flush too when i get time for it? should i use mercedes tranny oil or can i use these synthetic tranny oils they sell?? are the suspensions air or hydraulic these years?

thanks for the input so far :)
You really should spend a lot more time doing research here and other places before you make your decision. There's a lots of good info here to help you make a choice that's right for you. Here's the link to a very useful tool.
Wealth of MB info.

·
Registered
2010 E550 4Matic P2, Pano, Parktronic, driver assist(wife)
159 Posts
in what country will fuel be 8 dollars a gallon? if you say America I am thinking the world will surely end in late december like the Mayans think.
$8 gallon gas. That's some funny Sh**T right there. AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts