Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,<br> I am considering the purchase of a used (2-3 yrs old) E 55 and would like to hear about the experiences you guys had with this car, both negative and positive.<br> How does the engine take high mileage?<br> General quality/longevity/durability of the car?<br> Have there been any specific problems with this model I should be aware of?<br> Any additional info is much appreciated.<br> Thank you,<br> S

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why no one would respond to this is beyond me, this specific forum is not as good as mbwolrld.org, if you noticed 27 people have veiwed your article, you would probably get more responses there. Anyways, sorry for venting. I have a 2000 E55 that I purchased used through Mercedes Starmark program in 6/01. I absolutely love it, it is the perfect mix of raw power, stability, handling, interior quiteness, head turning, and braking beyond belief. I have had no major problems, a few minor rattles that the dealer was happy to fix, a few electrical glitches like windows acting weird and not closing all of the way, but all have been very minor, and all have been fixed immediatley and with a smile by my dealer. Bottome line is that the car will last forever, but I will give you this advice, never buy a first model year car, 99 being the first, plus the front fascia was changed on the 2000 and up. 2000-2002 are all identical asthetically. And definitely spend the extra 1200.00 and get the extended 100K mile warranty, it is well worth the money and will pay you back in spades, considering the labor is $85.00 an hour at my dealership here in MD. Good luck, and dont hesitate to drop me an email at [email protected] if you need any further advice. PS check my ride out in the gallery under Jays 2000 E55.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are no specific problems with a 1999 E55 and the 1999 E55 is not really a first year car. The E55 dates back to 1998 for Europe and they had the E50 model prior to that. The old adage of 'dont buy a first year car' is only for U.S. made crap like a Ford. But even that is still an old antiquated wives tale. No German car is really a first year car in the U.S. because the car has already been on sale there a year prior to selling in the U.S. The E55 2000+ mid-model upgrade is mostly aesthetics - unless you are looking for the features like Comand Navigation or Tele-Aid. Good luck!<br> <br> When I sell my E430 I am getting a used E55 also. Anyone interested: www.E55AMG.com/E430.html

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2000, with nav, is sensational! More than I deserve. No problems that were not properly addresse by dealer. Have 2003 on order for 1st delivery at dealer.<br> <br> 28000 miles and new tires.<br> <br> NO other major maintenance items, including original brakes.<br> <br> Maybe the lack of response is due to limited availability until 2001, only 500 per US.<br> <br> If you can find one, you will be pleased beyond belief.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2000, with nav, is sensational! More than I deserve. No problems that were not properly addresse by dealer. Have 2003 on order for 1st delivery at dealer.<br> <br> 28000 miles and new tires.<br> <br> NO other major maintenance items, including original brakes.<br> <br> Maybe the lack of response is due to limited availability until 2001, only 500 per US.<br> <br> If you can find one, you will be pleased beyond belief.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No regrets at all. I purchased a Starmark 2001 in June 2001 (only had 400 miles on it, the previous owner really wanted an S class). Mechanically, the most solid car I have ever owned (better than my previous 3 and 5 series BMW)...no rattles, tight fitting interior, etc). Best compromise of power, handling, comfort and believe it or not efficiency (I get 23-4mpg on highway averaging 70-80mph).<br> <br> Have the car you are looking at checked over by a good independent MB shop and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a used 2000 E55 six weeks ago, and love it too. I'd recommend the 2000 also, for a few reasons:1) the Tiptronic transmission can add a little fun if you occasionally want to shift for yourself 2) the TeleAid system adds a safety/convenience factor (if you pay to subscribe to it ) 3) I wanted a navigation system ( I dig gizmos, and it's already significantly helped me find places quickly a few times) 4)the cell phone in the 1999's is analog only and not supported by many wireless services. If you get a 2000, make sure it has the appropriate model StarTac phone for your carrier (there are seventeen different MBz models of this phone for different carriers).<br> On the other hand, you can get a 1999 for at least $5000 less, even possibly with comparable mileage and condition.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Buying used E 55, need an advice--again,

most of these guys are forgetting one of the biggest advantages in owning the 2000+ models. In addition to touchshift (not really a tiptronic), you have restyled outside, steering wheel controls, information center, and of course, teleaid and SOS. But one of the biggest advantages is prepaid service. Some say it's just a scam, as the FSS indicator will only allow you service every 15k or so. But have you experienced a major service at a franchised dealer on one of these engines? Ouch! As an aside, the build quality on my 99 E55 was nowhere near as good as on my 2000. But frankly, neither was anywhere close to the build quality of my 500E, which in many ways I prefer to the E55. Hope this helps, allen.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a used '99 E55 in Nov 2000. I haven't had any problems with it. I love it. In March 2001 I purchased the Digital Startec phone from the dealer and had them install it. I knew it would work because the 99s have fiber-optic wiring and that is what is needed for the digital. My tech wasn't sure it would work at first but soon got the ok that it would and they installed it. It's worked fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts