Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I'd appreciate your input here. I've done a search of this forum and found the buying tips for the ML's very limited.

On some of the '06-early '07, depending on the engine SN, there appears to be a balance shaft failure issue. From a certain SN forward, no issues.

With this being said, should I consider looking at the ML500 instead of the 350?

However, the 500 gets into a potential different set of problems (Airmatic).

And owning a E55 for a number of years, I'm used to doing the PM on my own.

Your comments are appreciated.

Cheers !!

Mike K.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
The early models called 500 have the older M113 engine, which doesn't have mechanical problems but has a few electrical problems, including mass air sensor, crankshaft position sensor, and air injection pump.

The new 550 engine is M273 and doesn't have a balance shaft like the M272 V6.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good morning lkchris,

Thanks for your input. I've looked at the the 500/550's and the like the additional features for not all that much more. But then again, I find myself falling into the common "step up to the next model creep". :D The original idea is to stay with a reasonably priced ML350.

Thanks again.

Mike K.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know what you mean by 'next model creep'. A month ago I started looking for a $10K SUV as a third car for use by visitors.

I selected the near latest redesign year as a constraint, then looked at 2006+ ML-series, the ML350s in the $20-$25K range. Then I realized the ML350s had motor problems, the ML500 is an older motor design, and the ML550 was the replacement, and the range crept up to $27-$33K. Then I found a ML63 with 66K miles for $37K (was at dealer repeatedly up to 40K miles for 'electrical' and 'engine computer' checks, clear for the last 26K miles, and bought it. A week later I'm experiencing electrical problems (ESP light, check engine light).

I also found there's a class action suit due to the AMG 6.2L motors which used soft cast iron cams and hard steel lifters (cam wears out, motor self-destructs).

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mbznewbie,

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person that falls into that trap. :D

I love my E55 and would surely like a ML63 but it's way overkill for my needs. I also have a 17YO daughter that would need to drive it occasionally. She's also had two accidents in two months. The last one totaling my 98 Ford Explorer. Luckily no one injured. And my insurance must think they've won the lottery on me. :(

Take care and good luck with your ML63. Remember "AMG" = "All Money Gone". :D

Mike K.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was happy with Carmax, you might want to search their inventory. They have a 30day warranty that covers about everything.

The car has 66,xxx miles, so I bought a 125K mile Maxcare (The Warranty Group) warranty with $300 deductible for about $2,450. Can't do that with a private party sale from what I understand. I had 100K mile warranty estimates from other sales lots in the $3,000-$4,000 range for 50K mile ML500s.

Things I learned today about the Carmax warranty:

- Only Carmax dealers can provide 30day Carmax warranty service (and I'm 60 miles from nearest Carmax dealer in Modesto).

- Carmax warranty covers shocks (air suspension) and window trim (two of the things I need fixed).

- According to paperwork, Maxcare warranty starts on date of purchase. According to Carmax, Maxcare warranty does not start until Carmax 30 day is over.

- Maxcare warranty does not cover shocks and window trim.

- Having repairs done before warranty officially starts gives warranty company reason to cancel warranty. Local shop told me of a Cayanne owner who started repair of failed transmission the day before warranty took effect, cost the owner $8,000 and warranty company cancelled the contract.

I had not heard that AMG term before. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts