Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
88,560 SEC & SEL Euros, 06 S-500, 06 SRT8 Magnum
246 Posts
Put on a blinfold. Question: after you have it on strike the keys on your computer you never know you might be just one of the luckey ones, use the Auctions as referance only. attached my best solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Buying a car off of eBay is fine provided you go and see the car in person, test drive it, and have a mechanic check the car out.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
yea, you never know how it actually drives. the transmission may sometimes change gears from 1st to second at 6500 rpm when driving slowly or may never change at all! lol. be very very weary of ebay

·
Registered
1985td300 and 1984cd
34 Posts
I took delivery of a 1985td that I bought from Ebay.
It was with the stipulation that I was to inspect it before laying down the cash. It loked good .Bought it and drove it home from Deleware to Maine 422miles .
Ran like a top.Had it up to 80 and cruised nicely at 65 to 70 . But I think I was lucky. Joe

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
Bought my '00 E320 off ebay and couldn't be happier. Got a very clean unit at a below trade in price.

You have to do your homework and be very cautious.

I would only (only) do business with someone who has been selling cars - particularly very clean newer luxury cars for a year or two at minimum and has a sterling feedback rating. Check out with a records service to make sure the history is clean -- and get a local dealership to check the car out.

I would email and talk to the ebay dealer as well as to their previous purchasers.

The good sellers go out of their way to make sure you are happy with the purchase. They are trying to build a business and need your good feedback from a happy sale.

In my case, the car was advertised - in error - as having the factory CD player. When the car arrived without one, and I asked about it -- they researched it then paid to put a factory unit in the car at no charge.

Ebay can be a successful low cost business for a dealer if they remember basic business principles and don't get greedy.

They're out there. You just have to look carefully.

Of course private party sales can be good on ebay too, but require more scrutiny.

Good luck.

·
Registered
91 350SDL; 84 300d; 71 220D; 68 280S; 93 300d (2); 86 420SEL; 83 280SL (grey); 83 240D;
37 Posts
I'm three for three, 98 Jetta turbo TDI, 89 Suzuki Sidekick, and 79 300SD. but I visited the Jetta; the 'Zuki from a charity and the sd for parts. would do it again,, but I would visit the vehicle too...

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
I think the same rules apply as any important purchase - - do your homework, have it checked out and do the best you can to protect yourself.

I bought a Corvette on E-Bay that was in Tulsa and had a friend living nearby check it out and drive it, then shipped it to Phoenix. There were a few surprises, but overall, a good expererience.

I've never sold anything, but have over 50 purchases. There are certainly more than a few scammers and flakes out there- but you should always adopt a buyer beware attitude to protect yourself and your money.

Regards-

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the car has been in "storage" or not ran "much" in the past few years...RUN!!!!! away... I bought a low mileage SL600 that looked to be in excellent shape and have put a small fortune, into the car...Dry rotted seals, stuck valves, etc.....And I've found that most dealers mechanics have a part replacement mentality....There is a reason that you get such a deal........

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]
I found my Benz on eBay, and was the high bidder. My bid was still below the reserve, so it failed. Then, I got a "Second Chance" email from eBay saying I could buy the car at my last bid, but had to PayPal a $1,000 non-refundable deposit within 48 hrs.

I called the dealer, and told him there was no way I was sending a non-refundable deposit for a car I'd never seen. He said, come over and drive the car, you'll like it. I couldn't get there (50 miles away) until the following week, so the eBay deal was technically dead when I got there.

To make a long story short, I did buy the car at the price I bid, after driving it. Because the purchase was not via eBay, I did not get the buyer protection or 30-day warranty.

I like the car very much, though it's too soon to tell if I made the right decision.

Happy Trails,
Dave

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
imon_2nd - 4/9/2005 11:53 PM

I got a "Second Chance" email from eBay...

That’s how you ‘save’ on eBay: all three of my MBs I got from eBay but although I was the highest bidder the reserve was not met. Understandably the seller does not want to go through the cost and hassle of relisting and are willing to sell for a more realistic price. [:)]

·
Registered
2001-S430 & 2006 - E350
12 Posts
Purchasing a vehicle off Ebay is extremely tricky. I almost purchased a S500 off ebay just looking at photos posted. However, My better judgement kicked in and I want to view the vehicle in person and inspected it. While Inspecting the vehicle, I found many discrepancies with the vehicle and decided not to purchase. So, the botom line is purchasing a vehicle off Ebay means a lot of attention to detail. If the vehicle looks good, then spend a few hundred dollars more and inspect it in person. It will be the best couple hundred dollars well spent.

S430 Owner

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alex///AMG - 3/27/2005 8:48 PM

I bought 3 cars on ebay. All 3 were perfect but I did have them inspected before signing the paperwork.
Who did you have inspect them? Are there mechanics around willing to travel to check out the car for a fee?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
There are companies who specialize in providing this service – check eBay Motors services or Google auto inspection services.

·
Registered
1995 sl500
27 Posts
I purchased my 1995 500sl off ebay. got a great deal $12,700 no reserve auction. From Houston TX. I live in MN. My benz mechanic said I got it for a steal and anytime I want to sell it. let him know.

on ebay always check how many items they have sold and read the feedback comments. Ask seller questions.

·
Registered
89 560sec, 83 300sd turbo
435 Posts
Unless you are lucky you should have the car inspected. Remember the old addage" Nothing more expensive than a cheap Benz". There are certainly good deals on ebay but unless you are buying a real cheapo for parts, I would have it checked out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Speaking form experience, Before my father passed away he purchased a 83 380SL of ebay. The auction stated in bold letters NO RUST. After many hours of work, replaceing body panels and rocker panels I can say there is no visible rust. If I had not inhertied this car from my father I don't think I would have started the restoration. The issue with the rust was only the beggining. All the rubber bushings and mounts under the car were rotten and had to be replaced and all steering and suspension compontents were wore out. Granted now after a year and a half of labor the car drives and runs great just need to get it painted and start on the interior

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts