Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im new to BenzWorld and hoping to become a full time member very soon.
I currently have an 2003 Audi A3 3.2 litre V6 which i am hoping to sell very soon.

In return i have found a 2004 Merc C Class Saloon C200 CDI and has 90k milage on the clock. It also has full service history. It is in black and has leather heated seats, built in satnav, electric seats. So a relatively high spec model.
However, it is fairly cheap because it is a CAT D insurance loss.
I am planning to keep my next car long term but my budget is very low. So i dont want to buy anything newer. The price range at the moment does include a coupe of C class's but nothing with a high spec as i have found in this CAT D one.

My questions to you are;

As im buying my first merecedes, are there any things i should be aware of before i buy? Am i letting myself into a money guzzler (from maintainance costs and unexpected repairs, to problems with the car i might face in the future)?

I have been told that the Mercedes engines are NOT very reliable (compared to an Audi a4 for example). Is this true?

Is there any re-occuring common problems that many people get with C class's?

Being a CAT D, what are the things i should be aware of before buying? Am i letting myself into a trap? The dealer said to me that it was light body damage (nothing done to the mechanical side of the car). He said that in his records it said that the accident happened in 2010 and was declared as a CAT D. Since then it has been repaired and there isnt a problem with the car.

Thank you for all your help, and i appreciate any advice you give me :)

Gurps

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
Sorry, I am not familiar with a "cat D" insurance loss. I guess this is a term local to your country? As for engine reliability, I'll take a Mercedes engine any day over Audi. Audi makes some nice cars, but they don't seem to be as solid as MBZ, based on resale values and number of older models on the road. With a 2004 C-Class, there aren't too many chronic problems. You should have the updated Behr radiator and not the Valeo that allowed coolant and transmission fluid to mix. One common problem is the antenna amp module on the rear glass that will go bad and make the remote unlock work from only a short distance and give weak radio reception.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
it sounds like the car has what is called a salvage title in the US. that greatly decreases resale value so you should get a steep discount over a comparable car with a clean title. you are talking about a car that is almost 10 years old. no one will tell you you are guaranteed not to have problems. i don't think your model was sold in the US so most of us don't know much about their reliability. Mercedes are used as taxis in Germany and routinely go hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your replies.
Im from the UK, had no idea that this was an american based mercedes forum lol :)

I will keep this in mind, but the internet definition of a CAT D is:

A Category C or D write-off is one that insurers consider unecomonical to repair but one that could, given enough time in the workshop, be repaired and returned to the road.

Category A and B should never be returned to the road. A Category B write off is one that is so badly damaged it can only be used for the salvaging of spare parts, while a Category A is one that is sent to the crusher.

·
Registered
Mercedes C200K Sports AMG
35 Posts
My advice, and this is based on my own research, is that the 2005 facelift models and newer are the better choices. A lot of the early bugs were fixed. Just my 2 cents, but again, that's what my research concluded. I haven't had any problems with my 2006 MY05 C200 Kompressor. I've owned it for over a year now. Just general maintenance.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
Thank you all for your replies.
Im from the UK, had no idea that this was an american based mercedes forum lol :)

I will keep this in mind, but the internet definition of a CAT D is:

A Category C or D write-off is one that insurers consider unecomonical to repair but one that could, given enough time in the workshop, be repaired and returned to the road.

Category A and B should never be returned to the road. A Category B write off is one that is so badly damaged it can only be used for the salvaging of spare parts, while a Category A is one that is sent to the crusher.
I see. So a CAT D is the least damaged of a write-off? Here in the USA, that distinction is not made. All we have is a "salvage title" which means anything from a car that was totaled as in your CAT C and D (and often, on an older car, repairs only have to exceed 75% of value to be totaled) to one that was flooded, frame damaged, and pretty much destroyed beyond recognition, then repaired. In your case, with the right deal, and an inspection, I might be tempted to buy a CAT D.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,127 Posts
Actually this forum is quite international.
You need to fill in the info on your profile, as in UK, so
people can give intelligent answers instead of questions.
I bet that 200cdi gets incredible mileage.
I cry every time I go to the pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, It sold to somebody else :(

but i still want a C class :) ill keep this forum updated...
hopefully the next one isnt a CAT D insurance write-off (or totalled- in american terms)

·
Registered
2002 C230
15 Posts
Actually this forum is quite international.
You need to fill in the info on your profile, as in UK, so
people can give intelligent answers instead of questions.
I bet that 200cdi gets incredible mileage.
I cry every time I go to the pump.
You aren't the only one. I use to get 3O-32 mpg before putting the hood and now I only get around 26-27. Wonder how many miles I would get if I take the motor out. That has got to be an easy 1500 pounds shaved off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts