Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
looking for a 300 d
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just found this site and I must say, I've learned so much already! I've recently become interested in owning a 1982-85 300s or 300sd. I know NOTHING about these cars except I like the way they look [:)] and have heard they are practically indestructible and are really affordable right now. I have two small kids and like the fact that this model can take a punch if necessary. I would love any feedback on what to expect when looking for a nice clean, well running 300. I'll be making a few road trips from TN to FL during the year and don't want to worry about it dying on me. Do you think I'll have any luck going through a MB dealership? I'm in the Memphis area and have visited a few small car lots that specialize in auction cars. I've seen a few, but they don't have service records, etc. Any advise on what red flags to look for when I find one that is eye clean that I want to test drive? Thanks!

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
300 SD vs 300 D

Comfort is a priority with the 300 SD and the prices are not that much more than the 300 D at this time. More space and much more rear seating room. The 300 D Turbo is fine on the road too, but just not as spacious.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I would do all fluid changes from bumper to bumper,
rear end, brake fluid, power steering...

I would do all fluid changes from bumper to bumper,
rear end, brake fluid, power steering fluid and filter, trans fluid/filter, coolant, and of course engine oil and filter. Both fuel filters. Sometimes the engine oil is changed out on a reasonable schedule, but one or more of the others are neglected. Also belts and coolant hoses. Then rub out paint if needed and possible, then a seasonal carnuba wax job. Check brake pads.
Clean interior with good products.

I do all of this with my daughter's cars. Check tires too for age. I also have some of these cars for sale.
Daughter will be putting some of our 300D's 240D,s and 190D's on Ebay. She has a mint 78 silver 300D for a driver after her 85 190D was hit by an uninsured driver.
John Gregg

John Gregg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.