Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 500SL
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a e329 cab a few questions are

1. how can I tell if the engine harness has been changed, the owner says he thinks the last owner changed it but has no receipts, are there any numbers on the harness to look for and if so what are they

2, also how about the head gasket any way to check that
the car has 73000 miles and is triple black and in great shape otherwise and he wants 11,000.00, is this a fair price.

Thanks Jimbo
love this forum

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
Pay him 10 & take your chances if you are happy with everything else?? If there are no receipts you should assume it hasn't been done and negotiate from there. Both issues can be fixed properly and quickly.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32AMG,1995 E320 Cab 1990 300CE(Gone).2002 ML320 (Gone)
477 Posts
The price sounds very reasonable and you're right to be concerned about the head gasket and wiring harness. But, the biggest potential issue is the hydraulic cylnders for the top - especially if you're not comfortable doing the removal replacement yourself.

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
That mileage and price sounds reasonable.

Another triple black cabriolet in Illinois? Outstanding!

There is a great way to check the wiring harness yourself. Look under the hood and trace it back to where any of the multi connectors and look for the insulation to be cracking up.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1646949-95-e300d-wiring-harness.html

If you see this, or it crackles when you squeeze any part of the harness, that is a good sign that it still has the eco harness wiring. There are two harnesses (upper and lower) so in some cases you may have only half of the harness replaced.

I started my offers on the cab I bought at 25% below the asking price, after I had an independent inspector go over the car, he checked everything down to the lightbulb. They will see the tell tale signs of the head gasket leak down the rear of the motor. The cam seals can dry out as well, they can verify. When I got to an agreed price i had another inspection done by JJ Best who I had underwrite the payment. All of this protected me from getting a bad deal. I paid off the loan as soon as I got the car home, but it gave me piece of mind, and they will write up a loan for that year and price.

I love triple black, its awesome. 10K +/- 1500 is a good deal on one of these, and yours doesn't seem to have the problem mine had, leaky hydraulics. That cost me a lot, but the car was in really good shape other than that, so I nabbed it.

Other than that, make sure the top works, the third brake light works, take it for a ride and listen for suspension clunking or squeeking, seat belt presenters work and the radio is operating. Some of the things that don't work could be as easy as swapping out the fuses for new copper ones, others mean much more money, and the dealership will eat you alive on a car like this. Start looking for a local mechanic near where you live and ask about W124s. Indies do the best work for the money if you can't do it yourself.

That's really great mileage, it means the car has been used and not just set aside. And most likely it has been serviced, so maybe you can track down a dealer to see who has serviced the car per the title address.
To research this, get the vin number and check to see what car fax says to see if it has been in an accident or how many times its changed hands to track down its service history. Sounds like its a lot of stuff to do but peace of mind is much cheaper than buying a POS car.

And, I like the hunt. I am not Wayne Carrini, but every vehicle I buy I try to research the crap out of so I can buy the one I want at the price I want.

Hope that helps and good luck, its a great car. Send us some pics after you get it.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
black on black usually wins! I'd take that car seriously at 11k...but offer much less. :)

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
As serious as you seem, Carfax is worth the money. Make sure the AC works. No overheats if the AC works when it's on coldest climate. Good shifts through all gears. No leaks. Get him down to ten and call it a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts