Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SLK230 Ltd. Ed.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 2004 AMG SLK32. Does anyone have advice on what I should look for (in the service records and when I do a visual inspection of the car) to avoid getting stuck with problems down the line? Are there any issues particular to the 32s that I should watch out for?

Also, if anyone here has an AMG 32 and wants to chime in on whether or not they think it's a good idea to buy one used (or at all!), that'd be appreciated too.

thanks

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
You'll love the 32! I got my 2002 in 2005, it still had 6 months of factory warranty remaining. If you find a 2004, find out when it's 4 year/?mile warranty expires. Having a little factory warranty remaing gave me some piece of mind. I did replace the cabin fan blower and the rear taillight assemblies under warranty. The rear lights are under a recall now so they should be OK, or you can have the recall replacement parts done after you get it. I was originally looking for an SLK 320, but am really glad I ended up with the 32. Other than those couple of items, plus the driver's seat heater (a common problem on the 32, so that is something to check out, but again, if you have some factory warranty mercedes should fix it) all I have done is normal services: A & B services, brake fluid change, radiator flush, replace fuel filter, new brake pads, new battery.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
You won't regret purchasing the car.

I recommend taking the VIN to the dealer and getting a complete history on the car and running a carfax.

·
Registered
'02 SLK32
9 Posts
Fairly new here, and have only owned my 32 for about a month. Came over from a heads/cam/turbo '04 GTO making 500rwhp, mainly because I wanted to get back into handling.

So far the car is pretty awesome. I have already fixed the intercooler pump ($80 fix per a thread here, plus added an ignition switched relay to turn it on when the car is on), installed the ASP pulley kit, removed the rear cats and resonator, and installed both the SL55 intake tube and Sprint Booster. Also went to a set of 18" staggered Rial wheels.

Everyone thinks the car is brand new, it is fairly quick, the folding top is trick, and it handles very well with new tires. I see no reason not to buy one. Check Carfax, have a mechanic check the current condition, and jump in, you'll have a blast.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
They are great cars, with power to spare, but like any car you never know what you bought until you own it for a while. Mine has been a gem, and I have no problems.

L

·
0 Posts
2Cool said:
Sprint Booster.

Can you give us your opinion regarding the sprint booster on you Slk 32 after installation? Btw, I don't know if you knew but they just came out the new sprint booster just for the AMG engine with a little less aggressive throttle response.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
MinTech said:
I'm looking to buy a 2004 AMG SLK32. Does anyone have advice on what I should look for (in the service records and when I do a visual inspection of the car) to avoid getting stuck with problems down the line? Are there any issues particular to the 32s that I should watch out for?

Also, if anyone here has an AMG 32 and wants to chime in on whether or not they think it's a good idea to buy one used (or at all!), that'd be appreciated too.

thanks
The SLK32 is a really awesome car. Loads of power and still quicker than 98% of all production cars, easy to modify but still really nice as is. I think you'll love it.

I think the two most serious issues are specific to the SLK32/C32 are the intercooler pump failing which is relatively common and the much more rare but also much more serious intercooler leaking problem. See the sticky thread about the intercooler pump problem. Easy and inexpensive to resolve. The intercooler leak problem sympton is a loss of cooling fluid but you don't see anything on the ground or in the splash undertray. The welds on some intercoolers cracked and leaked the fuild into the motor. Very nasty. This has only happened to a few cars that I am aware of.

Actually there are 2 other problems that are worth mentioning. The first in the supercharger "chirp" problem where you get a small chirp when the supercharger engages. Others have complained about a transmission jerk at low RPMs under light throttle pressure.

Good luck. I think you'll really enjoy the car.

·
Registered
2000 SLK230 Ltd. Ed.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. I hadn't looked at the intercooler thread until just now... good to know.

·
Registered
'02 SLK32
9 Posts
linh said:
Can you give us your opinion regarding the sprint booster on you Slk 32 after installation? Btw, I don't know if you knew but they just came out the new sprint booster just for the AMG engine with a little less aggressive throttle response.
I just received mine last week, so it is the new version for the AMG (something something -2 part number). It does change things, most noticeably making the initial pedal input ramp up faster, effectively lessening the "dull spot" you normally feel when lightly rolling into throttle. It seems to work well with the transmission, as in part throttle shifts are more aggressive, likely due to changes in throttle sensor readings passed on to the ECM.

Is it worth $250? Honestly Idunno, as a firm throttle application can achieve similiar feel. It is better, but that is a lot of money for a bit of feeling.

·
Registered
2000 SLK230 Ltd. Ed.
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SteveL said:
The intercooler leak problem sympton is a loss of cooling fluid but you don't see anything on the ground or in the splash undertray. The welds on some intercoolers cracked and leaked the fuild into the motor. Very nasty. This has only happened to a few cars that I am aware of.

Actually there are 2 other problems that are worth mentioning. The first in the supercharger "chirp" problem where you get a small chirp when the supercharger engages. Others have complained about a transmission jerk at low RPMs under light throttle pressure.
A couple of questions-- would a prepurchase inspection by a reputable mechanic catch the rare intercooler leak problem? Is there a specific test (like a leak-down test) that would be sure to show it?

Also, are the supercharger chirp and transmission jerk problem easily fixed? OR are these big expensive problems?

Thanks for all your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts