Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm about to get a brand new SLK280. Edmunds.com invoice price is $52,976. The dealer I went to asked for $53,076. Is this a good deal? If not, how much should I offer?

·
Registered
2007 SLK350 6M with AMG package
67 Posts
I think that's a good deal. I ordered mine in the winter so I got the invoice plus they throw in the iPod kit for me.

·
Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG Iridium Silver
246 Posts
dudeincali said:
Hello guys, I'm about to get a brand new SLK280. Edmunds.com invoice price is $52,976. The dealer I went to asked for $53,076. Is this a good deal? If not, how much should I offer?
what options are youg getting? in fact that's a VERY very bad price. last october, i got my new 07 slk350 with 7spd AT, p1 and 6 CD changer which adds up to about $53k msrp for under $47k. that was in the beverly hills area. don't do it, there isn't a high demand for the 280's. you should have no trouble for getting your 280 for alot under 50k. in fact, you should have no trouble getting a brand new 350 instead for that price. the 07 models should be alot cheaper by now, as the 08's are coming this summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What's the MSRP?

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
MBSLRwannaBE said:
what options are youg getting? in fact that's a VERY very bad price. last october, i got my new 07 slk350 with 7spd AT, p1 and 6 CD changer which adds up to about $53k msrp for under $47k. that was in the beverly hills area. don't do it, there isn't a high demand for the 280's. you should have no trouble for getting your 280 for alot under 50k. in fact, you should have no trouble getting a brand new 350 instead for that price. the 07 models should be alot cheaper by now, as the 08's are coming this summer.
I totally agree, that's SLK350 teritory, add another 1000, and that's a fully loaded SLK350 EDP territory, add another grand to that and it's a slightly used SLK55 arena. I would pass on that price.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
I think you can do a LOT better because you're in CA. Lots of competition among MB dealers because there are so many that want your business. Shop around and pit one dealer against another. I was almost going to buy an SLK at the MB dealership in Laguna, CA. Even with the flight down to pick up the, the deal was still a good one. Fortunately, I got a dealer in my state to match the offer, so I didn't have to make the trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for the input, guys.

Here's the detail:
SLK280 White on Beige

Options:
Premium 3
Lighting package
AMG package
7sp automatic
Heating package
6 CD changer

MSRP is about 57k

So, is asking 10k below MSRP reasonable?

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
dudeincali said:

Here's the detail:
SLK280 White on Beige

Options:
Premium 3
Lighting package
AMG package
7sp automatic
Heating package
6 CD changer

MSRP is about 57k

Take the 6 CD changer out, that's usless and asked for $50K even, that's reasonable, IMHO. I would also check ebay and autotrader to see what other dealers are offering for similiar options. But $53K for a 280, no way. Good luck.

·
Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG Iridium Silver
246 Posts
dudeincali said:

Here's the detail:
SLK280 White on Beige

Options:
Premium 3
Lighting package
AMG package
7sp automatic
Heating package
6 CD changer

MSRP is about 57k

even if it's a good price, with all the options you are getting, still wouldn't do it. i'd go for the slk350 w/o amg package and similar options for around/under $50k instead. there's really no use for an AMG package on a 280 IMO. there's alot of MB dealers in the SoCal area. check them out, they will be matching each other's offers. considering the 280 isn't in high demand and that there's the 08's coming in a few months, you can do alot better. but take my word for it and get the 350 instead. you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
dudeincali said:

Here's the detail:
SLK280 White on Beige

Options:
Premium 3
Lighting package
AMG package
7sp automatic
Heating package
6 CD changer

MSRP is about 57k

Ditto what Ynot said about the 6 CD changer. It's old technology and will render your glove box totally useless. That'll save you a few bucks. I, too, wouldn't put the AMG package on a 280. For some reason, it just seems out of place, IMHO. When you sell a car with the AMG package, people are going to want a 350 or a 55 to go along with it.

With regard to $10K below MSRP being "reasonable," you'll never find out unless you ask. All they can say is "no." At least you'll have a starting point. Another Web site you might try out is carsdirect.com. (I'm not affiliated.) They're based in CA and are able to query all of the dealers for the best price in the state. If you want to do it yourself, just use the online inquiries for each dealer. It'll take a little time, but at least you'll get the satisfaction of knowing on your own what's out there and at what price. You're lucky that you're in CA. Most of the dealers in my area just laughed at me when I asked them for a price below MSRP.

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
100 Posts
It seems high to me also.

Here's what we paid for our 2007 SLK280

Base model with 7sp auto & CD changer (more on that later).

Retail "MSRP" = $45,955. The best dealer "MSRP" price I got = $42,500 OTD = $45,988 (7.25% tax rate where I live).

I did not want the CD changer because it takes up the entire glovebox and adds $400. It's almost impossible to find a car that doesn't have one unless you order it, I tried. If you order the car it's hard to deal on it.

I don't know if I got the "best" deal but it was the best I could find at the time. I worked entirely by email and started the process using the cars.com approach. If you really like to haggle you may do better. I hate haggling and wanted the deal done before I showed up.

You might want to give Daniel Evans (Internet Sales mgr) at MB of Encino call/email. He was great to deal with, very honest and straight forward.

818-461-3641 direct
[email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's not a great price.

Cars direct is at 52,677 with the options you mentioned. Dealers should be able to beat Carsdirect.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Again, i think that's a lousy price for CA. I wouldn't mind the AMG package, even on a 280, but it won't help you at all on resale because 280 buyers in general aren't going to be interested in the harsher ride and the aggresive body kit. the 350 doesn't really cost that much more, and given the price you were going to pay, just get a 350, with all the same options minus the CD changer.

base engine benzes usually sell for under invoice anyway, unless it is special edition.

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Go find a like new (<5000mile) car that's similarly configured for ~$35k on eBay, autotrader, etc. Don't pay >$50k for a SLK280.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Boy, things sure change. When I ordered my SLK 350 in April 2004 (6 months before they made their debute in the US) I was glad to place an order at full list price. Some dealers were asking as much as $5,000 over list. It's the law of supply and demad.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Duo-Art said:
It's the law of supply and demad.
Was that a Freudian slip? I've always thought that people who pay over MSRP were certainly "mad."

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
When the car was first announced in the US, some mercenary dealers were asking and getting over list price to put you on the waiting list. The dealer that I bought my car from never charges over list for hard to get models. They want repeat customers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts