Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Euro 560 SEC AMG
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, after a few years hiatus from Mercedes I just can't resist and have to go back. Seeing all these SELs driving around just makes me ache to have one again. I've been looking around and of course theres plenty of SELs for sale and some are for pretty good prices. I know the major issue with these is when they're over 100,000 miles, which the majority are, they need to have the timing chain replaced. The problem I'm running into is that many of these people that are selling the car, whether it is a dealer or private, have had the car after 100k and don't know whether the timing chain was replaced or not. Is there anyway for me to visually inspect the car to find if the chain had been replaced or not? Am not wanting to get into another money pit like some of my other experiences. If there are any other major issues anyone can think of when buying please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
You can always take the passenger-side valve cover off and inspect the guide rails for undue wear.

They should appear nearly new in terms of surface wear if they were replaced.

Having a money-pit is almost inevitable, unless you get a car with full service records indicating work has already been done, including suspension bushings.

Check the usual suspects under the car for leaks, particularily the pinion seal, CV boot seals and the rears of the head-gaskets.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
Read the buyers guide over at MBCoupes.com. My friend Cascade help write that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts