Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

We finally have narrowed our search to 2006 R-350 or R-500. I visitied a benz dealer here in Mason and one in Dublin but couldn't find anything from 06 that I like. I did find few on Ebay selling for much cheaper than what dealers are asking in Ohio, with better options. I have been seriously looking into buying one of those two listings on EBAY. One of them is a manufacturer buyback with only 8500 miles on it and it has all the options I would like to see.

R350 (Manufacturer buy back)

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : R-Class (item 300195541840 end time Feb-24-08 07:00:00 PST)

OR this R500 one with 23K miles but clean carfax...

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : R-Class (item 280195431557 end time Feb-14-08 17:13:52 PST)

I came across this board and it loves it. I would love to hear what you guys think about these vehicles and which one I should buy. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello:

We finally have narrowed our search to 2006 R-350 or R-500. I visitied a benz dealer here in Mason and one in Dublin but couldn't find anything from 06 that I like. I did find few on Ebay selling for much cheaper than what dealers are asking in Ohio, with better options. I have been seriously looking into buying one of those two listings on EBAY. One of them is a manufacturer buyback with only 8500 miles on it and it has all the options I would like to see.

R350 (Manufacturer buy back)

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : R-Class (item 300195541840 end time Feb-24-08 07:00:00 PST)

OR this R500 one with 23K miles but clean carfax...

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : R-Class (item 280195431557 end time Feb-14-08 17:13:52 PST)

I came across this board and it loves it. I would love to hear what you guys think about these vehicles and which one I should buy. Any help is appreciated.

talangah;

Well, first welcome! Second, do your research, please read as much as possible about these vehicle before buying one. This forum is a great start and represents many R owner with many varied experiences. Some love their Rs, while others have not been so lucky dealing with them. The 2006 year model is the first production year for this new line for mercedes. As you know, first product year models usually has the most kinks in them; that after a couple year of re-engineering, newer years are less likely to give the owners problems.

I suggest looking into a 2008 or 2007, if you can afford to spend alittle more. In addition, buy a extended warranty you will be very happy you did, because unless you like spending alot of money on parts and labor, MB can cost you a small fortune. I personally love my R, however, the 7 seven seat option came into play in the 08 model year, a full 2 years after I asked the dealer about it. I also suggest that you get the bi xenon lighting package, cause as a halogen driven owner will tell you, road lumination is limited and reduced while cornering can been noted. Also, either get the backup camera or parktronics, this option will save you a lot of guess work when parking.

Well, good luck and remember, that r 350 gives better mileage then the v8 big brother R 500.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks thumbup. My budget may get me into 2007, but not 2008. Anyone here has experience buying one of those lemon "buyback" vehicle? I would definitely buy extended warrenty if I buy it. Also, why R500's were so short lived?

talangah;

Well, first welcome! Second, do your research, please read as much as possible about these vehicle before buying one. This forum is a great start and represents many R owner with many varied experiences. Some love their Rs, while others have not been so lucky dealing with them. The 2006 year model is the first production year for this new line for mercedes. As you know, first product year models usually has the most kinks in them; that after a couple year of re-engineering, newer years are less likely to give the owners problems.

I suggest looking into a 2008 or 2007, if you can afford to spend alittle more. In addition, buy a extended warranty you will be very happy you did, because unless you like spending alot of money on parts and labor, MB can cost you a small fortune. I personally love my R, however, the 7 seven seat option came into play in the 08 model year, a full 2 years after I asked the dealer about it. I also suggest that you get the bi xenon lighting package, cause as a halogen driven owner will tell you, road lumination is limited and reduced while cornering can been noted. Also, either get the backup camera or parktronics, this option will save you a lot of guess work when parking.

Well, good luck and remember, that r 350 gives better mileage then the v8 big brother R 500.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
07 R320 CDI
109 Posts
Thanks thumbup. My budget may get me into 2007, but not 2008. Anyone here has experience buying one of those lemon "buyback" vehicle? I would definitely buy extended warrenty if I buy it. Also, why R500's were so short lived?
I hear you about the budget for looking at the '06s. Last year I was also looking for '06s and found out that did not save me much, so I ended up with an '07. You just have to work hard and find aggressive dealer(s) in your areas and/or nearby to give you their best price. If you dont order a car and can find one from the dealer's lot you should be able to get:

- invoice which is an automatic 7% off from msrp (no effort)
- work a bit harder you can get 10% off (with reasonable effort)
- work multiple dealers and much harder you can get 12 - 15% depending on incentives, promotions, at the time (end of month is your best chance)

I aggreed with finding a car used or new but gotta have Xenon HID, BU camer, Parktronics. These are usually hard/expensive to add or retrofit with OEMs or Aftermarkets.

In my opinion, I'd never consider a "lemon" or "buyback" vehicle, especially an MB, even with extended warranty. It's just not worthed and you're likely to have too many trips to the dealer for service and ended up regretful and not enjoying your car.

Short lived R500 / R63? Due to poor gas mileage which translates to low sale volumes/demands from '06's and '07's. Not a profitable for MB. Rclass is a luxury, comfortable, spacious family hauler and the R350 / R320 is more than adequate performance for such purpose. R320 will give you 25 - 30 mpg following the break-in period.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. After looking hard, I have found a local dealer (about 120 miles) who has a brand new 2006 R350 4WD (not 4matic) in his lot. It has 8000 miles which he says driven by owner's wife with dealer plate. He is offering it for 34K + tax...I have offered 33K + tax.. lets see...It hasa window sticker of 58K, but missing few options like navigation, prktronic and xenon ..so lets see

what do you guys think about this price ?

I hear you about the budget for looking at the '06s. Last year I was also looking for '06s and found out that did not save me much, so I ended up with an '07. You just have to work hard and find aggressive dealer(s) in your areas and/or nearby to give you their best price. If you dont order a car and can find one from the dealer's lot you should be able to get:

- invoice which is an automatic 7% off from msrp (no effort)
- work a bit harder you can get 10% off (with reasonable effort)
- work multiple dealers and much harder you can get 12 - 15% depending on incentives, promotions, at the time (end of month is your best chance)

I aggreed with finding a car used or new but gotta have Xenon HID, BU camer, Parktronics. These are usually hard/expensive to add or retrofit with OEMs or Aftermarkets.

In my opinion, I'd never consider a "lemon" or "buyback" vehicle, especially an MB, even with extended warranty. It's just not worthed and you're likely to have too many trips to the dealer for service and ended up regretful and not enjoying your car.

Short lived R500 / R63? Due to poor gas mileage which translates to low sale volumes/demands from '06's and '07's. Not a profitable for MB. Rclass is a luxury, comfortable, spacious family hauler and the R350 / R320 is more than adequate performance for such purpose. R320 will give you 25 - 30 mpg following the break-in period.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2007 R350
284 Posts
4WD (not 4matic) ?
Not the same thing?

Xenons are a must - best lights I've ever had. Reversing camera and parktronic are also a must as it's a big car. I'd also miss satnav. I'd shop around until you get the right one as you may later regret it.

Good luck. The R-class is a great car and I just don't understand why it's not selling as well as it should.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,092 Posts
IF you're considering an R with the gray interior, I'd advise you drive one first.

Point it toward the sun and decide how you like all the reflection in the windshield.

I suspect beige is similar, but I've not been in one with that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts