Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Fantastic site and a wealth of knowledge.

I'm interested in a W220 as I think they are absolutely beautiful. My questions to those here who have better knowledge or experience are simple ones, do I opt for the S320 CDI or shall I purchase the S500 that has been converted to run on LPG so I get power and economy?

Has anyone had a similar vehicle and any problems associated with these conversions?

Is the S500 better only because of the power or other reasons?

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
2004 W220 S320CDI
121 Posts
Hi All,

Fantastic site and a wealth of knowledge.

I'm interested in a W220 as I think they are absolutely beautiful. My questions to those here who have better knowledge or experience are simple ones, do I opt for the S320 CDI or shall I purchase the S500 that has been converted to run on LPG so I get power and economy?

Has anyone had a similar vehicle and any problems associated with these conversions?

Is the S500 better only because of the power or other reasons?

Many thanks in advance
My 2000 S500 has been running for just over 12months on LPG without one single hiccup.

LPG does not provide as much engine power as petrol but to be honest I have not noticed any difference. It starts on petrol then at around 55c it automatically switches over to gas.

My system is a Prins VSI

I achieve around 17mpg - 19mpg on gas around town @64.9ppl (UK price per litre):thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 W220 Mercedes S320 CDI, 1977 C107 Mercedes 450 SLC
4 Posts
I have the 2003 S320 CDI, and regularly achieve up to 33 mpg(UK)or 28 mpg (US) in town driving, wit it reaching 45 mpg(UK) or 37 mpg(US) on country roads cruising at between 80 and 90 mph. It has plenty power, but can feel slightly sluggish when pulling off from a standstill.

Diesel is not a slouch at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thought I'd update so others searching could see the outcome.

I got an year 2000 S500 converted to LPG with a PRINS system in the end. Full Mercedes service history and just shy of 96k miles.

I love it, apart from the car being fantastic (I knew it would be) the silky smooth 5 litre V8 is a joy to drive, especially when money wise on my run from London to Cornwall it was doing the equivalent of 39 MPG on diesel.

The downsides are unable to use the channel tunnel and when you are in Europe you can't park in underground car parks (real pain when visiting Bruges) but for what I use it for it's been a great car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts