Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an opportunity to buy a 1993 600 SEL with an asking price of $3,750.00. Black on Black 126k. The problem is that the car won't shift into reverse and I am wondering if this is a common and easy fix. The car is being sold by a woman who has just gone through a divorce and doesn't know anything mechanically or technically about these cars even though she and her ex-husband were the original owners of this car. She said her ex had put $15,000.00 into repairs and service at an MB dealer 4 years ago. I talked to her on the phone and she was fun to talk to, but I got the impression that she was more into Jaguars, and she said she once owned a Mercedes convertible from the 80's. I figured that she came from the the social scene where a Mercedes is no big deal.
I am not concerned about the price, but I know I could sweet talk her into a lower price because she just wants to get rid of it. I don't know much about these Mercedes except that they could be nightmarish money pits. I am just looking for a project car. I currently own an '89 190e 2.6 and know everything about it, and my knowledge of trouble shooting and repair would be helpful maybe with the 600.
This is a long post, but I want to know about the transmission problem in the context of the history I have just given. Any advice, opinions? Thanks for reading this post!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts