Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood
I'm currently considering buying a 78 w123 230CE Auto from a uncle. I don't know much about the cars history. I do know that it was parked for a long time and that it has had an engine swap. The body is straight and has a small rust spot under the left door chrome trim. A small faded patch on the bonnet.
My future plans are to
1. Change it from left hand drive to right hand drive.
2. Clean and restore interior plus Engine nd trans
3. Install Air ride suspension

4. Fresh paint
5. Nice set of wheels
ANY HELP ON HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS AND SAVE MONEY WHILE DOING IT. IT IS A PROJECT CAR!!!

W163 and General M Gremlin
Welcome to BW Boyohboy,

Good to have you as a new member.

Community Search at the top of the page is your best friend.

To get you started on some reading.

Registered
.................... ~'84 300D~~~~~~~~ ~~'85 300TD~~~~~~~ ~~~W123(s) Galore~~~
Water Leaks... from windows, sunroof and clogged drains. Give it a good hand wash and 'Rinse Heavily' with a garden hose then check the inside (including the trunk) for any dampness on the floors or elsewhere. Seals/Gaskets/Grommets may or may not be readily available.

Registered
rust , rust , rust ............... the undoing of all w123 .

As for saving money , why go to the expense of RHD conversion?

You have a coupe ! such a desirable car , did you know Mercedes decided to limit production of this body style to 4% of production .
Instant collectable !
In my opinion , every change you do from standard will reflect negatively on the value of the car .

I ask again , why the RHD conversion . and air ride ??

Registered
.................... ~'84 300D~~~~~~~~ ~~'85 300TD~~~~~~~ ~~~W123(s) Galore~~~
As per the 'Fox'... Pull all the floor mats out and the lining in the trunk. Remove the Battery and the battery tray. Once done... Inspect the interior, exterior and undercarriage for rust. Hint: do this right 'after' a good wash and a rinse.

Also, do a compression test on the engine... you will learn more from a compression test than any other engine test ...you may 'not' have to replace the engine.

Registered
1989 W124 260E
Under bumpers for rust ,,along with sills and free play in the steering . I would get it on a 4 poster lift and inspect under the sub frames and bearing areas Then if all; is well i would spend my cash once you know it is worth it.

Registered
anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
View attachment 2703153 I'm currently considering buying a 78 w123 230CE Auto from a uncle. I don't know much about the cars history. I do know that it was parked for a long time and that it has had an engine swap. The body is straight and has a small rust spot under the left door chrome trim. A small faded patch on the bonnet.
My future plans are to
1. Change it from left hand drive to right hand drive.
2. Clean and restore interior plus Engine nd trans
3. Install Air ride suspension View attachment 2703153
4. Fresh paint
5. Nice set of wheels
ANY HELP ON HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS AND SAVE MONEY WHILE DOING IT. IT IS A PROJECT CAR!!!
Hi
Are you in California or AZ ?
I can help out.
Thanks
Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts