Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the indie who has been helping me look for a used Mercedes for more than 16 months now offered to sell his E220, as he was getting a 2008 E class and didn't really have enough storage space to keep it. Apparently, he swapped the transmission with one from an E270 donor car for the purpose of higher torque and better fuel economy. He has assured me that the ECU has been adjusted accordingly to accept the new transmission. Should i consider buying it (He has been giving a realistic sense of owning a Mercedes in India ). I'm worried that the car's electronics might freak out at some point down the line despite their careful tuning/remapping of the ECU and malfunction in a time I can't afford it to malfunction. I'm worried that this might make the car BMW 850i bad, but is that my paranoia talking?

·
Registered
35,640 Posts
So are you in India?
What transmissions we are talking about?
Sounds like your indy might be one of the geniuses who succeed in computer marriage, but that might make him the only one who can service the system in case of any troubles.
I guess you knew that ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you in India?
What transmissions we are talking about?
Sounds like your indy might be one of the geniuses who succeed in computer marriage, but that might make him the only one who can service the system in case of any troubles.
I guess you knew that ?
"But that might make him the only one who can service the system in case of any troubles" is actually the first thing that came to mind. As for the transmission, 722.6 is the most information I could get from an internet search. I know that that's obvious, and that more information is required. Out of curiosity, how many transmission models are there for the w210 E270? And yes, I live in India.

·
Registered
35,640 Posts
The 722.6 is the only transmission mounted on American models of W210 starting in 1997 and this is the first digital transmission mounted on E.
Earlier models had 4-sp grandfathered from W124 and I hear some European models have been available with manuals, but swapping digital transmission in place of vacuum-operated one is next to impossible.
So at this point finding what exactly was replaced with what might turn crucial.
Good luck on research.
What's the mechanic life lenght prediction?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 722.6 is the only transmission mounted on American models of W210 starting in 1997 and this is the first digital transmission mounted on E.
Earlier models had 4-sp grandfathered from W124 and I hear some European models have been available with manuals, but swapping digital transmission in place of vacuum-operated one is next to impossible.
So at this point finding what exactly was replaced with what might turn crucial.
Good luck on research.
What's the mechanic life lenght prediction?
I'm pretty sure its not from the W124. I think I'd be right to assume that the facelift models have a five speed automatic gearbox, even here in India. I guess I'll just ask him which transmission it is. But usually, is there more than one five speed automatic transmission model for a facelifted W210 E270 cdi? Are you asking me about the mechanic life length prediction of the transmission?

·
Registered
35,640 Posts
Are you asking me about the mechanic life length prediction of the transmission?
In US lot of items are sold with "lifetime warranty" so I always ask "who's life we are talking about?"
The 722.6 exceeding 20 years on the roads proved themselves to be very strong units, so if the mechanic is in his retirement age, his life prediction would be the first one to consider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
thebrokeenthusiast
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing