Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a really nice E200 auto 1997 with no obvious rust and only 45,000 miles. The only area that would worry me would be the perch mounts. Is there an easy way to check for rust in perch mounts at the roadside, as I dont have access to a ramp.

Also is blue black colour more bluish or more black ?

Thank you

I have tried to attach 2 pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
That's a nice looking E200 Classic. Looks like a female owns it?

The only way to inspect the perches is by taking the wheels off and having a look. With 45000 miles its probably had an easy life...so the perches may be OK. Even if there is a problem, the parts are cheap and easily fitted. What part of the UK are you in? (Looks like Edinburgh).

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
color looks like it is midnight blue, where in the day looks dark blue but at night looks more black. nice find, seems to be pretty clean. regarding spring perches, actually you can get a good look by just the turning the wheel all the way out and flash a light in the area.

·
Registered
814 Posts
E200 has 4 cylinder I guess. It looks very nice for its age. How much is the price? here in the US it is likely under $4000.- USD despite the low mileage.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
2L motor is enough power for most european cities considering narrower and with more turns roads and congested traffic. not to mention much higher fuel costs.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I think if there is rust on the perches, it would be under the undercoating.
I thought the warranty over there would cover this, and any other rust issues...

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I think if there is rust on the perches, it would be under the undercoating.
I thought the warranty over there would cover this, and any other rust issues...

Sadly, once the car is more than 8 years old MB will not entertain rust claims...forget the 30 year Mobilo "guarantee".

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Sadly, once the car is more than 8 years old MB will not entertain rust claims
that's still better than rest of car manufacturers. in my area i have seen 5-6 years old american and japanese/korean cars with rust already on them, and have only 3 years of rust warranty.

·
Registered
35,787 Posts
Car shown with water on it always raise red flag, so check the paint job carefully.
With lighter engine the perches might not be the issue at all. Our 13 years old car doesn't have the problem regardless heavier diesel engine.
Radio is aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Car shown with water on it always raise red flag, so check the paint job carefully.
Nah, you're too suspicious. That car is in the British Isles - it's always p***ing there. ;)

·
Registered
35,787 Posts
I tough it is always foggy there.
Still remember old joke about UK, where "head on accident" meant exactly that.
2 drivers driving in heavy fog have their heads sticking out side window to observe the center street line. They come head on to collide with head of the guy coming from other direction.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well at least those rims look a lot nicer then my 2001, nice catch mate, and it's a nice color as well. Hope you'll get the car and enjoy it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts