Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I live in Vermont where they do not sell passenger diesels (along with CA, NY, MA and CT). Does anyone know if I can just buy a new one in New Hampshire (where I've found just the one I want) and then register it in Vermont. I've read that it needs to be "used" and have over 7500 miles on it, but I haven't been able to find that # in any official document.

I searched the Vermont DMV website and I can't find anything that says this. Does anyone have experience with this type situation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it worth it?

I weighed the option and ended up purchasing a car with 7504 miles. It's now completely legal and I don't have to worry about it anymore. Do you really want to have this hanging over you for a year or so? Yes, the law is stupid, but so is spending more time trying to circumvent the rules than enjoying your car.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Btw, what's the price per gallon for diesel there? It's over $4/gallon here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put a deposit on an new 08 ML320 CDI today, gulp, its a lot of cash...

The sales manager of the dealer is going to commute with it (100 miles/day) until the 7500 mile limit is met.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
I put a deposit on an new 08 ML320 CDI today, gulp, its a lot of cash...

The sales manager of the dealer is going to commute with it (100 miles/day) until the 7500 mile limit is met.
I hope you aren't going to pay full price for it?

If so, you just fell hook-line-n-sinker for one for best dealer scams I have heard of in recent memory. "I'm just going to commute with it" Yea. How 'bout "I'm just going to crash it and not report it". The dealer can do almost anything they want to that vehicle and beat the hell out of it and none of it will show up on CarFax or any service records. The vehicle will also loose a good amount of value, as its no longer new when you purchase it.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
And some people like to buy Loaner cars or Rental cars too.....:eek:

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
And some people like to buy Loaner cars or Rental cars too.....:eek:
Loaners and demos also fall under the same category. The dealer can do anything they want to them and none of it will show up anywhere. One can often get a better deal, if they know how to negotiate, on brand new vehicle over an ex-loaner or ex-demo.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Well he can do what he wants to it, but he'll be handling all if the warranty repairs.

How would this be any different then buying a new car? Your warranty will be 7500 miles shorter when you take possession of the car no matter what.

So you are paying full price for a used car then?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll ending paying a little bit above invoice, so yeah new price for a used car. But if you live where I do, there aren't many options. I searched every internet site I could trying to find a used one with the colors I wanted and options I wanted, but didn't have any luck. I did this for about 3 weeks and finally just went for what I wanted, albeit for a new price, but used.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
I'll ending paying a little bit above invoice, so yeah new price for a used car. But if you live where I do, there aren't many options. I searched every internet site I could trying to find a used one with the colors I wanted and options I wanted, but didn't have any luck. I did this for about 3 weeks and finally just went for what I wanted, albeit for a new price, but used.
With Diesel at $4.00/gal it simply doesn't make sense. You got ripped of big time. Overpaying for a used car is NOT a good deal. The dealer is probably planning a party to celebrate this sale with the money you are handing them in this deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never said it was a good deal. I just felt like I didn't have any other options. I didn't buy the ML to save money so the cost of diesel is irrelevant.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
I never said it was a good deal. I just felt like I didn't have any other options. I didn't buy the ML to save money so the cost of diesel is irrelevant.
Then why wouldn't you have just kept looking for a used one or buy a new gas ML or some other vehicle? 3 weeks isn't a long time to look for a used car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Extend the warrantee

How would this be any different then buying a new car? Your warranty will be 7500 miles shorter when you take possession of the car no matter what.

So you are paying full price for a used car then?
Not really true, When you buy the Used ML, it should be a StarMark certified used car which they up the warrantee to 100k miles and 5 years from the 50k / 4 year warrantee .

Tejas

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Not really true, When you buy the Used ML, it should be a StarMark certified used car which they up the warrantee to 100k miles and 5 years from the 50k / 4 year warrantee .

Tejas

I don't think the dealer is going to CPO the car. The buyer has asked the dealer to drive it up until 7500 miles. Its not going to be titled or registered to the dealer. The buyer will be the first owner on the car. 7500 miles will be subtracted off of the total factory warranty when the buyer overpays for the new but technically used car and takes possession of it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow - So is this common? I'd be willing to sell my ML 320, with 10,000 miles or so on it. Looks like new - no problems, etc. If I could sell it for just over invoice, that would be pretty good. What is invoice anyway? Mind if I ask what you paid?

If I lived in a state like yours, I might consider it. But where I am, I'm wondering if there is a market for selling them at 7,500 miles. The idea of driving a new car every year for little or no cost is very appealing. I'm not sure if I could really find a buyer though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In CA, there are a lot of hungry potential diesel owners. I'm sure you could get 10 to 20% over invoice.

I paid 55k but I got all the goodies, leather heated seats, trailer hitch, P3 package, premium paint. The only thing I'm kicking myself for not getting is the off road package, I don't know if it is available in the US. Funny that the ML's are made here??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts