Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a used e500 between 2003 and 2005.

Can owners please tell me what I should be on the lookout for in terms to problems with is model.

Any other helpful advice would be much appreciated and welcomed as well.

Thx.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Be sure to get a 7 speed automatic transmission vs. a 5 speed automatic. The gas mileage especially on the highway is better. I am not sure if the 7 speeds were introduced in 2004 or 2005. I am also a proponent of the Appearance Package. It adds numerous items including blue tint glass, birds eye maple wood, led lights, rocker panel trim etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Can owners please tell me what I should be on the lookout for in terms to problems with is model.

Thx.
I have a '04 E500 i just purchased. I guess you'd also have to check to see if any required recall work has been done. Such as SBC brake work. Maybe also to see if any firmware updates need to be performed to the command system. Lastly....and this one may or may not relate to you, but I have a blackberry 8800 series phone. If your car comes with the v60 motorola with cradle you can buy a bluetooth puck to be compatible with this type of phone. Catch is it has to be an '05 and above. I know bb users are as passionate about their phones as benz people are about their cars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a '04 E500 i just purchased. I guess you'd also have to check to see if any required recall work has been done. Such as SBC brake work. Maybe also to see if any firmware updates need to be performed to the command system. Lastly....and this one may or may not relate to you, but I have a blackberry 8800 series phone. If your car comes with the v60 motorola with cradle you can buy a bluetooth puck to be compatible with this type of phone. Catch is it has to be an '05 and above. I know bb users are as passionate about their phones as benz people are about their cars.
Blackberry 8800 works in my 03 E500 with the BT puck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Be sure to get a 7 speed automatic transmission vs. a 5 speed automatic. The gas mileage especially on the highway is better. I am not sure if the 7 speeds were introduced in 2004 or 2005. I am also a proponent of the Appearance Package. It adds numerous items including blue tint glass, birds eye maple wood, led lights, rocker panel trim etc.
the 7speed is avaliable in the 04' models or i know mine has it. look really well for a good price on a used model. i got mine at a resonable price: 04'E500 w/36K extended warranty to 75K and paid $31,326 including tt+l. Now the only two packages that im aware of that it states is the comfort package and the sport package, haven't had any problems with it so far, i just hate the fact i have a black exterior and a hella light beige interior that looks almost white. looked great at first but gets dirty easily.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2004 E500 that I was thinking about selling PM if you are interested has 38k on the clock silver ext black int. Pano roof, keyless go, distronic, zenons, etc. Located in Dallas. This is my second one so I am pretty familar with them and have had zero problems besides computer updates which I had done for free. Great car for the money.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have an 06 e500 4matic with no problem so far. However, I had to take it back to the dealer a total of four times within the first 3 months, to address miscellaneous issues, all solved under warranty. Now things are quiet, and the car runs great. I am only concerned about possible problems with AIRMATIC, based on the numerous postings I have seen in this forum about AIRMATIC coslty repairs, in either S or E models. Hopefully, I'll get lucky.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Thx.
As a E350 owner, I'd recommend getting the E-Class models from 04-Up. These models have 7-Automatic transmission and better features than the previous models.

·
Registered
29 Posts
SAVE YOUR MONEY

Don't buy it, I repeat don't buy it. Read about all the issues with the E500 on this website and then make a rational decision. Yeah, they're nice looking cars but it will be in the shop more than under your ass.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Don't buy it, I repeat don't buy it. Read about all the issues with the E500 on this website and then make a rational decision. Yeah, they're nice looking cars but it will be in the shop more than under your ass.
There are definitely some instances of e500 owners not being happy with their purchase. My experience has been great. I would purchase my e500 over again. Great car and a real pleasure to drive.

Jeff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an 03 E500 and absolutely LOVE IT and my neighbours hate it because it is in my garage! Mine has airmatic (makes lowering very easy) with no problems. Have a reliable shop check out whatever you buy, and that should minimiese future unforseen problems.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i have no problems with my 04 E 500. the only thing i hate is doing brakes and even then i do them myself, oh and the wipers don't last very long. Besides that it has done me well. It is a huge upgrade over my former 2000 Accord EX V6 that wound up in the shop more than my driveway due to a faulty tranny (five of them to be exact) with only 63K miles. My mom has had previous MB's and we have not had any major problems with them. Right now she has a 07' S550 w/40K miles and still nothing. my 82' 280D has had problems but due to age, other than that we have had great vehicles overall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm partial to the E500 Wagon. It looks good, has superior usable room, and comes standard with Airmatic and 4Matic. The AWD feature keeps the tires planted even in dry, level conditions. Five speed auto only. Some reports even state that the wagon is quicker 0-60 than the sedan. It's no longer available in the US since they upgraded the V6 to the 3.5 liter. Mine hasn't had any serious trouble after 57k miles. A fine car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have a 2004, it is a lovely car, not much maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
E500 buy

I just traded my 99 E320 with 118K miles on an unbelievable 2005 E500! Every option available except Pana Sunroof.

Obsedian Black (sorry for spelling on all) 25K miles, smells, looks like new.

29,700 plus tax! Car listed for 65K plus. It has options I dont know what they are at this point (Hands free ect, ($1,450), massage seats with controls on each front seat, Premium package ($3950), active seats ventilated, ect.

I was going for the 4matic but this one blew me away with the "brand new" condition. Most I were looking at were 05 and 06 year going for 31K to 41K and had from 33,000 to 51,000 miles on them.

I really love this machine.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go E500!!!

:D I have an 04 E500 as well and absolutely love it!!! And its not just because I upgraded from a 93 olds achieva:) I did alot of research before purchasing, and the E Class seems to have much fewer issues than some of the other classes. Talk to the mechanics at the dealership and find out which ones they see in the shop in your area too. They were a great help in helping me figure which one to get, and steering me away from problem models.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts