Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes-Benz 500SEL
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a good-ish condition 1984 300SD with at least 237k miles (the odometer is broken). When the vehicle was started, It did so quickly, and I noticed no smoke coming from the tailpipe. Everything seemed pretty sweet with it, until I started driving the thing around.

At about 15-20 mph, I noticed the car surging as if I were pressing down on the accelerator, and releasing, in a smooth fashion. The problem seemed to go away after a couple minutes of driving. I don't feel like the transmission was at fault -- it seemed to shift very smoothly (judging by the fact that I couldn't really tell it was shifting at all, except for by the RPMs). Even that archetypal clunk as you shift into D for the first time after starting the vehicle was very minor. I was impressed!

I need help with a possible diagnoses with this surging issue, as well as a recommendation for price. I am being very cautious with this purchase, as my last attempt to get a 500SEL gasser ended up a very expensive mistake (I -don't- want a repeat of that).

The good:
-Aftermarket stereo
-Seems to shift very well
-Paint is -not- fading, but is a bit dull -- I see some polishing/waxing in the future. Black paint on black leather (driver seat is pretty ugly, but still very supportive). Overall, vehicle looks very keen.
-Interior is good. Clean carpets, decent wood. Trunk seems leak-free.
-Much tread left on tire (will check for dry-rot on second visit).
-Brakes are very smooth and firm.

The bad:
-Surging issue
-Climate control will require much work (blower motor, probably compressor/etc, perhaps climate control unit refurbish (you can resolder these, right?)). Blower motor could also be as simple as a fuse, too, I guess. In any event, it's not blowing air; it just emanates warmth all of the time.
-Driver seat (not a big deal)
-Possible very high mileage
-Belts are squeely.

I am kind of bad at car shopping, and I neglected to check the working status of the windows/sunroof. It was raining today, so I'm fairly sure the sunroof does not leak or anything. I think the vehicle is worth pursuing, but only if the surging issue isn't serious and is most likely easily fixable. The owner is asking $1850, but I would like to get it for cheaper, given the surging issue and the climate control. What would be a fair price, and what things should I check to help make a more informed decision? I will return tomorrow or the next day with a former diesel-benz owner and a car guy to help me further check it out. I would like to get it for $1400 or lower; am I being unreasonable? Or perhaps too generous?

What should I expect to service/check/repair right off the bat? I'm thinking in terms of this diesel purge I've been reading about, a valve adjustment, filters, etc. I should have enough money to flush all of the fluids, too. Typically, how much should I expect to pay for a valve adjustment, anyways?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
A diesel purge won't hurt, then change out the filters too.

Yes, the CCU can be re-soldered.

Replace the belts.

The valve adjustment is a DIY, so it should be cheap enough if you pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
Silver 1982 300SD Turbo Diesel. 1980 300D. Gold 1992 300TE Wagon
65 Posts
Hi I have a 82 300SD I bought for $2750. with 153,000 miles I just spent 573.00 dollars after 21,000 miles the glow plugs replaced a vacume hose turbo ring etc. the car runs beautiful. my car would shift from first to second before they added 2 quarts of transmission fluid shifts fine now. I love the car and drive it daily.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have found a good-ish condition 1984 300SD with at least 237k miles (the odometer is broken). When the vehicle was started, It did so quickly, and I noticed no smoke coming from the tailpipe. Everything seemed pretty sweet with it, until I started driving the thing around.

I am kind of bad at car shopping, and I neglected to check the working status of the windows/sunroof. It was raining today, so I'm fairly sure the sunroof does not leak or anything. I think the vehicle is worth pursuing, but only if the surging issue isn't serious and is most likely easily fixable. The owner is asking $1850, but I would like to get it for cheaper, given the surging issue and the climate control. What would be a fair price, and what things should I check to help make a more informed decision? I will return tomorrow or the next day with a former diesel-benz owner and a car guy to help me further check it out. I would like to get it for $1400 or lower; am I being unreasonable? Or perhaps too generous?

What should I expect to service/check/repair right off the bat? I'm thinking in terms of this diesel purge I've been reading about, a valve adjustment, filters, etc. I should have enough money to flush all of the fluids, too. Typically, how much should I expect to pay for a valve adjustment, anyways?

Thanks for reading!
the owner is asking way too much thats a $900 if that. buying a car with a broken odo is like driving a car in the dark, you don't know what parts are getting worn based on mileage until they break...valve adjustments are easy to DIY. id stay away...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts