Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying this car, what problems should I be looking for on the car?<br> <br> The a/c doesn't work and there's a little bit of rust in the boot. Otherwise everything else seem ok.<br> <br> Did they come with ABS? Was it an option?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ABS was an option.<br> Rust comes as standard I'm afraid on some of these and if you look at a rusty one donot buy.<br> Some of the 280 CE's are rust free and stay that way , however some of them seem to rust badly around the back windows and around the rear arches and under the rear lights.<br> Also they rust around the mouldings all over the car if they were not given the rust prevention treatment at point of manufacture.<br> Regards<br> Mark

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark. I had already bought it. No ABS I'm afraid but it has A/C, cruise control, electric windows and sunroof, automatic, mb tex, and tow bar. It had the rust protection applied when new but I'm afraid there is a bit of rust in the boot lid and under the rear lights. The lady selling was desperate to sell and drop the price down from $12,500 to $7,500 (AUD) which was a bargain here in Australia considering they in between the $12K - $20K mark. I spent about $1000 on major service and new suspensions. It is a fantastic car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eddy<br> <br> I'm glad to hear that you are happy with your 280 CE they are a beautiful looking classic car and I have 2 of them a 1983 and a 1984.<br> One in silver one in metallic green.<br> Does yours make a droning noise from the diff at 80mph or above?<br> Both of mine do, I think its part of the characteristics of the model.<br> Any way enjoy your motor<br> Regards<br> Mark London UK

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I'm sorry, I can't say it does.<br> I driven it as fast as about 160KMph. (100Mph)<br> My steering has a bit of freeplay, It's getting checked at MB in couple of weeks time. I want to get that fix before I go any faster as it's very noticable at fast speeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.