Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'82 240 D
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a stranger to M-B's nor Diesel's. I'm a former VW employee, and have owned several VW diesels.

My problem lies in that I don't have experience with M-B diesels! :crybaby2:

I'm going to purchase a 240D, manual for a great price. The problem lies that it needs motor mounts, when I pull the key it still runs, and the parking brake doesn't work.

Does anyone know what the cause maybe or how to fix them?

Whats the first thing one should do when they purchase a new D?

THANKS!

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
jdc, have you got a good source where to buy a accurate but rather inexpensive comp. tester?

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
buy a manual for the car. it will save you alot of keystokin on the forum. the forum is an invaluable tool, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words/keystrokes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The engine continuing to run after the key is turned off is more than likely a vacuum leak. I've heard that the vacuum section of the ignition key switch can go bad, but the source of your trouble is probably elsewhere in the vacuum system.

Motor mounts on a 240D are no biggie if you're a reasonably good wrencher. Good source for those is ThePartsBin.com.

Parking brake can be any number of things. Best bet is to start at the ebrake pedal and work your way back.

Good advice from the others to get yourself a manual since the 123 diesel is much different when compared to what you are accustomed to working on. Kent Bergsma also has some good M-B specialty "mini manuals." His Vacuum System Troubleshooting repair guide for the 123/126 diesels is very good. Do a search on "Bergsma" on eBay and you should come up with some of his stuff. You can also go to MercedesSource.com.

Have fun, and best of luck with the car.

·
Registered
'82 240 D
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the insight folks!

I'm looking for a manual as we speak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts